Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
First off, apologies to long time watch owners, if this was asked in the past.
I was looking at SS initially but it may be too expensive.

Although the silver aluminum looks less premium than the space grey aluminium, I'm thinking it's more flexible and can match with most bands. The space grey seems to only work well with a black band.

Would love to be proven otherwise.
And yes, I know taste is all subjective.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I bought a space gray and i have no regrets.

But I'm also buying alot of dark bands...

That being said, I've seen pictures of space gray watches with silver Milanese and it looks fine to me. I personally wouldn't pick it though.

Space Gray looks fine with just about all sport bands imo...

I don't even mind the way it looks with steel lugs if you want to pair it with a leather watch.

If you do care about the lugs, there are plenty of 3rd party bands with lugs to match your casing. Look through some of the 3rd party band posts in the accessories forum.

silvermx5

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2013

Although the silver aluminum looks less premium than the space grey aluminium, I'm thinking it's more flexible and can match with most bands. The space grey seems to only work well with a black band.

well It's a matter of personal preference. for me the silver alum, can be matched with any color band (red, cocoa, black, white, etc. or even milanese or link. The space gray IMO matches better with black (not with midnight blue) or vibrant colors (like red) than can give the contrast to the set. Like I wrote It's a matter of personal preference.

Explore the interactive gallery at http://www.apple.com/watch/interactive-gallery/#/42/silver-aluminum-case

or browse the photos https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/show-off-your-apple-watch-series-2.1872015/

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Yep, if you're going to be a serial strap swapper, skip the Space Gray. Only the black sport and gray woven nylon bands really match.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I have a space grey sports and think it works great with any of the sports bands or nylon bands.

It also looks great with the black Milanese or Link bracelets, but I really don't like it with any of the straps with steel adapters - I hate the clash of the adapter against the body of the watch

Here are some pictures of some of my straps

IMG_0282.jpg IMG_0283.jpg IMG_0284.jpg IMG_0285.jpg IMG_0287.jpg IMG_0286.jpg

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I have a space grey sports and think it works great with any of the sports bands or nylon bands.

It also looks great with the black Milanese or Link bracelets, but I really don't like it with any of the straps with steel adapters - I hate the clash of the adapter against the body of the watch.
Agreed. Many (though perhaps not all) of the sports bands can work. Nylon bands too. It's a matter of your personal taste. Having a shiny pin on the opposite side of your wrist does not distract - indeed, for lighter color bands, a black pin would be jarring. On the other hand, along the lines of what Phil said, there's a couple of the traditional leather bands that I'd be interested in, but I'm not interested in bright shiny lugs directly connected to a black watch, so no sale. I think that is an area where Apple has served Space Gray / Space Black owners quite poorly.

A few samples below. The green and blue in the top row were launch colors, no longer available. The bottom center, I couldn't fit "Light Pink + Mint Sport", so you get a South Park reference (that amused me after I started wearing that combination). Oh, the Leather Loop looks better in person than in photos, which always seem to overemphasize the grain. They're nice in part because the size adjusts in very small steps. Same for the Milanese loops. (Oh, and "Red Sport" should be "(PRODUCT)RED Sport", oops.)

SpaceGrayWatchbands.jpg

appleish19

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2014

I was going to get the stainless steel as well. But decided on the silver aluminum. Have had it since launch day(Series 0) and has held up remarkably well to every day life and working out.
Works well with the different sport bands and love it with the black leather loop has kind of a contrast. Looking to get a few other colors of both style bands.

Attachments

• IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,963
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,067
  • IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,067
  • IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,979
  • IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,988
  • IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,056
Reactions: Jaimmin

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If I were to buy an AW, I would pick black/space grey. The silver one to me is already jarring with the black screen and silver casing, and then you have the bands. Really clashing Imo. Space grey one at least have a uniform appearance on the unit between screen and body, and then it's a matter matching the bands (and to me they all look great).

Of course, it's personal taste.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
If I were to buy an AW, I would pick black/space grey. The silver one to me is already jarring with the black screen and silver casing, and then you have the bands. Really clashing Imo. Space grey one at least have a uniform appearance on the unit between screen and body, and then it's a matter matching the bands (and to me they all look great).
This is pretty much why I went for space gray. Nicer match between the screen and the casing (went aluminum rather than steel because I knew it was a first gen device). A lot of the sports bands, nylon bands, and leather loops look great with the space gray watch. The classic buckle leather bands _could_ look nice, if Apple would release versions with black lugs, but they don't (sigh).

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I seriously regretted buy my space Gray. The silver pops way better with a much larger variety of bands imo

Mr. Y

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I got a first gen. Space Grey Aluminum and regret it. I'm contemplating buying either a Series 1 or 2 in Silver Aluminum. Above all else, it is a personal preference you must make for yourself. I personally regret it because of its lack of "versatility" in my own neurotic way.

Jaimmin

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2014
Mumbai, India
Silver Aluminium it is, atleast for me.

OP - Like everyone else said, its a personal preference. And it is true, the space black looks good in pics, but the aluminium is better on the eyes in real. What i did was go to the apple store and try on both the SB and AS with diff. sports bands(I have pics., will upload later) and I liked the AS with black band combo the best. So, i'm getting the AW S2 Nike+ AS with White/Volt band and getting a black band with sg button from my brother. Set.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.