Silver Aluminum

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BlackMamba14, Oct 9, 2016.

1. BlackMamba14 macrumors regular

Most people seem to get SG aluminum. How do people like their silver sports?

How is the durability? And are you able to dress it up?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My wife hd the silver first gen until I upgraded her to the SS (sold her old one and the difference was $60 so I figured that was a no brainer). She did get some scratches on the screen notable in very bright light and at the right angle. The case looked just fine, though I didn't look at it under a microsocope.

I have noticed some folks here are extremely finicky with how bands look. She had a few knock off bands and she loved her leather band with stainless (probably not real stainless but it looked the same) clasp and lugs and is actually using that on her stainless watch now. Neither of us thought that looked bad despite not being an exact match.

I think it is all a matter of preference. I've seen people in suits with a fitbit on or a GShock or some other random non dressy watch. If you like how it looks and that matters to you that is what should drive your buying decisions IMO.

3. rnangie macrumors newbie

My screen and aluminum case were pristine after 18 months. I'm pretty careful with my things, though.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The aluminum on the Sport Watch is durable, but once scratched, it's not possible to remove them. The Stainless scratches can buffed out.

5. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you use a screen protector or just get AppleCare?

6. Nell macrumors regular

Mine remains unscratched despite me not being particularly careful with it. I have a few sport straps plus one of the woven nylon ones (the pearl one) and a Milanese loop (my choice when I want to look smart). I much prefer the silver sport to the space gray one. I'd quite like a stainless steel watch as an alternative but I'm still very happy with the silver sport.

7. rnangie macrumors newbie

I didn't use either.

8. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

Mine is a launch day series 0. Has held up remarkably well.

Attached Files:

9. gppittjk, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016

gppittjk macrumors regular

It's a tough watch, especially for having a glass display. I have a few scrapes on the case, and I definitely have some scratches on the display. However, the scratches are really only visible in bright, direct light. They don't bother me whatsoever. And I can't see much of the case when the watch is on my wrist, so I can't complain about the case scratches. I've knocked it against door frames, walls, tables, desks, car doors, weight plates, etc. I probably hit it pretty directly against something at least once a week. I put it through hell and, given that it's my designated weightlifting buddy (Gymaholic FTW), it has done remarkably well.

Dressing it up hasn't been a problem either. In my office, which is still on the formal side, it's not uncommon to see sports watches. At least in my part of the DC area, people tend not to judge you by your watch. I'm able to match a sport band to whatever shirt or slacks I'm wearing on a given day and have no issues. I've also worn it in one wedding, as an attendee at a couple of others, and in my own engagement photos. I have a black Fossil 24mm leather band on ClockWorkSynergy adapters that works quite nicely for black suits ($26 total), and I bought a brown Fullmosa leather strap (~$20) for suits worn with brown belt/shoes. I highly recommend the Fullmosa - looks very similar to the official Apple brown leather band but has springbar adapters and two loops to keep the long end of the strap under control.

10. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

I agree dressing it up is not hard at all. Throw on a black leather loop or gray leather loop and it looks awesome and dressy.

I've gone to the gym worked out banged mine and I am really impressed. Really hoping to get the series 2 soon