Silver Lining for Mac Mini Server (Late 2012) Owners

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by crhendo, Oct 17, 2014.

1. crhendo macrumors member

For all we clever people that purchased the Mac Mini Server (i7 3720QM) .....

Just think how much our Mac Mini will now be worth on eBay!!!:):)

2. crhendo thread starter macrumors member

......and soldered RAM! My goodness, can it get any worse!

3. eutexian macrumors regular

I was seriously considering selling my mid 2011 base model - until that is I found out about this. Now.. its not even on my radar. (sorry Apple)

So.. the mid 2011 soldiers on for the foreseeable. no great loss.

If it decides to die horribly.. then I'll replace it with a 2012.

Frankly I do not understand the logic behind this move.. unless, Apple have been viewing the lost sales from 3rd party memory upgrades with envious eyes..

I think this decision will cost them dearly. maybe not from 'new customers' but from owners like me who balk at the price of Apple Memory. Which is by any measure - horrendously expensive.

4. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Same here. Got a 2009 mini I have been waiting to replace. After the announcement I was thinking to get a 2012 model. But giving Apples dick of a move I'm not even going to upgrade to 2012 anymore.

Going to stick with 2009 mini for as long as I can. It's a bit slow but runs well.

5. crhendo thread starter macrumors member

I guess my problem with this announcement is that I always considered the top end Mac Minis to be pseudo "enthusiast" machines to play with as we liked. Now, all that is going to happen is that people like me are finally going to wander over to the TonyMacx68 world and start building clones.

I think this is a shame. The Mac Mini is has had a very loyal following for years and this simply looks like the end of the line.

Still, it could be worse. I could have taken out a second mortgage to buy a Mac Pro and then discover that Apple has decided to go down the 5K monitor path and leave the Mac Pro for dead barely 12 months later. But that is another story altogether.....

6. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

"I guess my problem with this announcement is that I always considered the top end Mac Minis to be pseudo "enthusiast" machines to play with as we liked."

Agree. Just can't believe they wouldn't allow users to upgrade ram. Really- it is hard to believe.