Silverlight and Third Party Apps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ram171, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Ram171 macrumors member

Ram171

I wanted to know your opinions about having Silverlight installed. Also, I don't remember installing this. Is it necessary? Is this an app? or an "add on"? Does it have the potential to negatively impact my Computer? In light of the recent scare on third party "apps"..is this safe? One last thing, should I leave the on off switch for "third party developers" on the "extensions" tab in Safari preferences in the off or on position?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's the microsoft version of Flash or Java, but I don't mind having it. For the majority of people, it's what makes the Olympics and Netflix work, but that's about it.

However, I since it's browser based, unlike Java, it won't be able to mess with your computer.

3. Ram171 thread starter macrumors member

Ram171

Thanks.
    How did this install itself? Also about the third party developers and the on off switch?

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If you watch the Olympics or Netflix you'll need it, but I haven't run into anything else that required having it installed. I'm just happy it's not flash and actually use it pretty infrequently as of the Olympics schedule and watching most Netflix off my PS3.

----------

It couldn't have really unless you're running your browser in dev mode and even then...