Silverlight high CPU usage, not using hardware acceleration?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andersonmattt, Feb 13, 2014.

1. andersonmattt macrumors member

andersonmattt

I've been having a weird problem lately where playing videos through silverlight (ie Netflix and Amazon Instant) uses up 80% or more of my CPU according to activity monitor. This causes my fans to run at nearly full blast when trying to watch videos, which is obviously annoying.

Even though the "use hardware acceleration" checkbox is checked, I feel like it's not working since I'm having 80% or higher CPU usage. Is there any way to check if hardware acceleration is actually being used?

I'm almost positive that my fans didn't used to go this crazy when using Netflix, and that it is a recent problem. I've tried reinstalling Chrome and Silverlight with no change.

Computer is a mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15'' running 10.9.1
    Any help would be really appreciated, because this is getting really irritating.

2. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I occasional upload photos to a website and it uses the Silverlight plug-in. Everything was working fine until a few weeks ago. When I click on the link to do a bulk upload, the box pops up and then it just goes away. I've tried this in Chrome, Safari and also downloaded Firefox to see if that would work but no luck. Info on the site says -

An unlimited amount of photos can be loaded per vehicle. We provide a basic upload and an advanced upload tool via Microsoft Silverlight. The advanced Silverlight upload is recommended.

I was having a problem with Safari locking up a few weeks ago - (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1697205). I reset the browser then restarted the computer. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not. I keep trying once in awhile but no luck. Don't know why it stopped working or how to correct the problem. I use an old Windows PC to do what I need right now. I really don't want to buy a new one just to upload some pics once in awhile.