Silverlight/Netflix causing OSX crash?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stomp, Jan 16, 2011.

1. stomp macrumors newbie

I've twice had OSX crash on me while streaming Netflix on my MacBook, once each on Firefox and Safari. The video begins to skip while the audio continues (unlike when my internet slows, and everything stalls). It will usually continue on just fine, but as stated, I've twice gotten the kernel panic "You need to restart your computer" message.

I've found that I haven't received the message if I pause the movie for a few moments when it starts to skip, but does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

2. timothy632 macrumors member

Same here

I am having the same problem, first it started out with script errors on netflix.com, then my computer kept saying it needed to be reset. I called the company they said to clean out my netflix cookies by going here www.netflix.com/clearcookies but that didnt help. But they did say there is an known issue and are trying to fix the problem. Lets hope they fix the problem fast!

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

Post the panic log, but my guess is this is related to graphics and/or overheating. Is this a newer MacBook with an integrated Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics processor?

4. Brumbie13 macrumors newbie

I thought I had it bad.
    I guess your problem is worse than mine.

Mine doesn't freeze the computer like that, it just shuts down FireFox.
    It usually happens when I am watching a movie and browsing online at the same time.

5. stomp thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have to dig up the panic log, but no, my computer is mid-2007 and appears to be using GMA 950 for graphics.

6. DenisK macrumors member

I think GMA 950 is more than sufficient for this. Not sure what SIlverlight is (I tend to avoid Microsoft products for being known culprits of many problems on Macs), but I would monitor system through Activity Monitor and see what jumps at you. (just go to Spotlight, type Acti... and it will pop up, then switch to see system memory tab).

7. stomp thread starter macrumors newbie

So I forgot I posted this however long ago, but this just started happening to me again (I did a reformat since having the issue before).

The panic log is such:
    I'll try to do it again with Activity Monitor running and see if something is unusual.

8. esaruoho macrumors member

esaruoho

Hi, I get a Netflix/Silverlight/Safari OS X Crash.. on a very specific place.

By clicking on "Add to Your List" while using Safari 6.0.3.

Most of the time it takes something like 5-8 seconds for Silverlight to realize to do that "twist the cover of the film left and right" thing and the little animation.

But I've had the mouse become unresponsive and my Mid-2009 MBP has simply crashed itself with a Kernel Panic. Really.. really annoying.

Here's the latest panic: