Silverlight Plug-in Failure

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I went to update my silverlight for netflix the other day (March 11, the day Microsoft released a new version) and after install, all I get is "Plug-in failure" and a black screen. Running OS X 10.9.2, Safari 7.0.2 and Silverlight 5.1.30214.0.

Tried multiple deletions of the silverlight plugin and re-install, no avail. I heard disabling graphics switching is the trick, but that hasn't helped either. Works fine in Chrome (which isn't dependent on external plugins for silverlight I believe).

Any ideas?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I installed that same version on my Macbook Air on 10.9.2 a couple days ago and had no issue, so it must be something specific to your setup.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I installed that same version on my Macbook Air on 10.9.2 a couple days ago and had no issue, so it must be something specific to your setup.
Yeah, by the lack of chatter about it it has to be, but this is a fairly clean install, not much to trip it up.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Fresh install of OS X downloaded straight from the app store, redownloaded the silverlight plugin and same problem. How can I be the only one having this?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Is the video only available via silverlight?

You can go into the Netflix playback settings and select 'Prefer HTML 5 player instead of silverlight'.

Either that or just don't update. Is there some compelling reason why you need silverlight 5.1.3 and no earlier versions work?

Last edited:

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Is the video only available via silverlight?

You can go into the Netflix playback settings and select 'Prefer HTML 5 player instead of silverlight'.

Either that or just don't update. Is there some compelling reason why you need silverlight 5.1.3 and no earlier versions work?
Well now that it's a fresh install, old versions aren't easily (if at all) available). HTML5 plays a grand total of nothing on netflix.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Have you gone into the security settings in safari and changed the settings for silver light? I just updated for skygo and had to change the settings.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Miami, FL
Yeah, by the lack of chatter about it it has to be, but this is a fairly clean install, not much to trip it up.
Having the same exact issue. Silverlight won't work, gives a black screen but nothing else. Did all the standard rigamarole found online. Changed run settings to run at risk, prayed to Gaben, etc.

Here's a thread, looks like Microsoft done goofed with their latest update. Some are having issues with it not working in Chrome.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/fwPcpAG8tts

Attachments

TJCooper

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2014
Same issue here - plugin failure appeared after the update. I'm unable to install Silverlight 5.1.2 as the installer detects a newer version despite the fact that i've trashed the plugin and all receipts. Any ideas on how I can revert back to 5.1.2?

UPDATE: I followed the instructions here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/924679 and this allowed me to fully remove silverlight and re-install 5.1.2. Netflix is now working again.

5.1.2 is available at http://microsoft-silverlight-mac.en.softonic.com/mac/download

Last edited:

DogeatDog

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
Do you have adblock or adblock plus enabled? After I disabled both adblocks it starting working. I enabled them again afterward and it still works for some reason. Could give it a try. :)

ItsAShaunParty

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Anyone figure it out?

And I was so excited over my 15" with NVIDIA. It's like between Google AND Microsoft, you can't win! Right? Am I right?!?!

But seriously, someone help. Silverlight my Chrome. I miss Netflix. Don't wanna Safari.

I'm on hold waiting for a Microsoft rep. now. But I realllllly want to hang up.

Thanks.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
And I was so excited over my 15" with NVIDIA. It's like between Google AND Microsoft, you can't win! Right? Am I right?!?!

But seriously, someone help. Silverlight my Chrome. I miss Netflix. Don't wanna Safari.

Thanks.
Chrome's an awful resource hog and drains so much battery. It lags too.

Safari's more power efficient and smoother. I don't get why so many people still like to use Chrome.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Thanks.
Yesterday's technology tomorrow? Several years ago, Microsoft was supposed to stop development of Silverlight in favor of other technologies. Microsoft changed its plans. Despite the change in plans, the future of Silverlight is in doubt. Netflix should have switched to open standards. Silverlight locks out iPad and iPhone customers. It also locks out Andoid customers. This is not sustainable.

Rather than clamoring for Google to add Microsoft proprietary technology to ChromeOS, you might be much better served by demanding that Netflix switch to open technology.

ItsAShaunParty

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Rather than clamoring for Google to add Microsoft proprietary technology to ChromeOS, you might be much better served by demanding that Netflix switch to open technology.
Totally agree. I wonder what that Netflix/MS contract looks like.

I called Netflix first. [Pro tip: Phone calls still work!]. The guy was super knowledgable and very pro-Apple. Also a Chrome user. They had nothing in their database about the issue. He seemed legitimately concerned -- then a bit relieved when he realized his 13" MBPr would be okay.

Chrome is totally a hog but right now I have 16gb of RAM and a killer processor. Plus, like Apple integrating itself into every aspect of my life, I fully admit I'm allowing Google to do the same.

You gotta pick and choose your battles. But I'm very indecisive.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Miami, FL
Anyone have a fix? It's a brand new rMBP and it's not working. I installed Silverlight, Java and Flash, nothing will work. Firefox and Chrome works though.
Try using gfxcardstatus and force the integrated graphics. It should trigger a switch to discrete regardless. But this has worked for those with 2010 MBPs showing this issue.

rayjgreen

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks all for the replies. Having the same issue across all browsers. I tried the EasyFind option to get rid of Silverlight and got the older version from the link above. But when I install it says a newer version is already installed. Any other tips on how to fully remove Silverlight? I've searched several times in EasyFind for silverlight and wpfe and everything is gone. Thanks!

meredithr144

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2014
I had the same problem

I uninstalled and reinstalled silverlight a dozen times trying to fix this... then I went into my safari security settings (in the preferences window) and clicked the box "allow plug ins" and now it's working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.