Silverlight Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ipodlover77, May 22, 2011.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Hey guys,

Quick question. I read that silverlight (this question is regarding netflix) runs more efficiently on safari than on chrome.

any truth to that? thanks!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've never had a problem with it either in Safari or Chrome, never noticed a difference, now Flash, thats a different story.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Same here for Silverlight. I use Chrome as my default browser and hardly ever touch Safari, no issues with Netflix here.

@PlaceofDis, I haven't noticed a big difference between Flash on Chrome vs on Safari, but I hardly ever use it. Which does Flash run more efficiently on in your opinion?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've found flash to be slightly better in Chrome, but barely. remember that Chrome's flash is bundled into the browser itself and Safari's is a plug-in so thats probably the reason for the difference.

5. atheros07 macrumors member

For me, Chrome will occasionally lag a bit with Silverlight in Netflix. The video is suddenly a bit jerky and lags just slightly behind the audio. It's minor but noticeable enough to be annoying, and the only way to solve the problem is to restart Chrome and then everything is back to normal.

On the other hand, Safari seems slightly laggier with Flash compared to Chrome.

6. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

its just that netflix seems to make my fans run when i watch it with chrome but on safari, not so much. just curious if thats in my head or if safari is actually more efficient.

7. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

in for answers - I'm tired fo seeing my temps so high.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Why? No harm is being done to your computer.

Also, you've given no information other than you're tired of seeing your CPU temperature "so high". How high is it? Presumably, you're watching Netflix... Safari or Chrome? Does it make a difference which browser. What computer are you using?

I'm using the MacBook in my sig and even when playing full screen on my 1080p monitor, I don't get overly high temperatures. If you have an older Mac, it will run hotter to do the same thing.

9. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

^^^ because actually it *IS*. nVidia GPU that was recalled due to solder getting too hot and breaking connection. I'm trying to keep my temps as low as possible as often as possible so I don't have to deal with the weeks it takes getting it fixed.

I just watched in Safari and temps stayed around 60C instead of Chrome's 80-90C. Using HMDI out.

ALSO - at higher temps I get horrible play back. I have to constantly move my computer to "new" surfaces that are colder just to maintain playability.

Sometimes I really DO wish they didn't make the move to intel because my iBook G4 is rock solid.