Silverlight Technology

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tech198, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Should companies like Netflix, or any streaming service that relies on Microsoft (clunky) Silverlight technology to use as their player, rely on it sourly ? WHich is what their doing today, Or should they start building their own technology, in case Silverlight goes away. ?

It could, happen couldn't it ?, And it it does, then those companies that rely on Silverlight will be in frantically trying to do their own ASAP....

WHy not start now, before that "end of life" happens ? As with anything, Microsoft has been deciding, in the news, on a new name for "Silverlight", while Adobe has limited Flash to non-IOS devices, and now has canned it for all together on mobile platforms...

Whats to stop Microsoft doing this with silverlight too on computers ?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Then providers will switch away from it. It's not really a problem. Do you think these guys would carry on operating if nobody could see the content?

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Microsoft is a company that will give them plenty of warning before it is discontinued if they ever decide to do that so they'll have plenty of time to switch to something else if they needed to. If they were developing their own in house technology then it wouldn't be as widespread and it would just annoy a lot of people.

4. TSE macrumors 68030

Silverlight is actually not very clunky, quite capable, and powerful in my mind. Especially compared to flash. My fans are never on even when streaming HD Netflix content fullscreen on my Pro.

Microsoft did a good job with it, I remember the first couple years it was worse than Flash in every way imaginable and there were a lot of developers ignoring it.