Silverlight

Discussion in 'macOS' started by richard.mac, May 12, 2008.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im trying to install Silverlight to watch the Big Brother live stream but when i click the "Get Microsoft Silverlight" button to get to the install page it says my hardware or OS isnt supported.

does Silverlight support Leopard and Safari 3.1.1?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

It does, according to the table on the page you linked to.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Apparently.

4. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

thanks but that link on the Apple page brings me to the same page after you click the "Get Silverlight" button on the Big Brother site and i cant download it. this is the page. says my hardware or OS isnt supported.

5. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

No, it keeps saying my browser may not be supported. But it's Firefox 3 and on the list. Stupid ****

edit: It's not on the list. May just have to wait a little.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yep, I can install it on Leopard without any problems, though, for some strange reason, after installing some web sites insist that it's still not installed. That makes me wonder if NoScript (an extension for Firefox that disallows most plugins and scripts by default, unless you allow them) is clashing with the site I'm using.

8. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok i got it to work now. i had to download with Firefox (used 3.0b5) and i can now view the stream in Safari.

stupid Microsoft, they say they support Macs but it doesnt even download in the default browser :mad:. whats so good about Silverlight anyway that some sites now make you install it? i mean YouTube uses Flash player and its one of the most popular websites in the world. why cant i just stick to Flash without downloading Microcrap.

9. benpatient macrumors 68000

Silverlight is actually written to be OS independent. Flash runs pretty slow on Macs compared to equivalent PCs.

I'm not sure that Adobecrap is any better than Microcrap.

In fact with Leopard, I have had a LOT of problems with Adobe's software and none with the MS Office suite.

Silverlight is a good thing. Some streaming sites used to require WMP for DRM reasons, and let's just say that WMP is NOT cool on a Mac, even with Flip4Mac installed and all of that mess, it is still a dog. Silverlight is MUCH better.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry, posted incorrectly.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There aren't many believe me but those Silverlight sites are generally owned by Microsoft in some fashion, why else would Flash not be used? Also welcome to the world of how Microsoft screws the Mac community.

12. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

it's a microsoft product. why would you think it would actually work?

13. Craig Phillips macrumors newbie

Can't install Silverlight - don't have Admin privileges

Wanted to listen to MLB audio; working as a freelancer so I don't have admin priveleges. Am I correct that admin privilege is required for Silverlight installation? If so, any recommended workaround?