Sim 3 Blackbook with GMAbooster?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ddeadserious, Jul 9, 2009.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Just picked up a Black Macbook witht he GMA950 in it.

My girlfriend would like to play the Sims 3 on it.

It is unsupported under OS X, but will evidently play in Windoze. She'd rather not install Windoze on it just to play the Sims.

GMABooster has the ability to boost the VRAM on the 950.

Curious if anyone has attempted to use GMABooster to boost the VRAM and run the Sims 3 on their Macbook properly.

Thanks!

2. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I don't think you will be able to play decently, it will be choppy, but if that doesn't bother your girlfriend, then have a go!

The GMA950 is really a crappy integrated graphic chip.

3. mosx macrumors 65816

http://www.thesims3.com/game/systemreq

GMA 950 isn't supported at all.

You can thank Apple for that ;) They went from using a relatively good GPU in the iBook (Radeon 9550) to the worst in recent memory. They went from modern at that time back to something that wasn't even as good as the original GeForce.

4. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm aware it's specifically unsupported. I wasn't sure though, whether that was because of the chip itself or lack of memory allocated to it.

I guess I'll give it a try, nothing to lose, right?

5. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

yeah it pretty much just over clocks your GPU to its normal speed because apple has underclocked it for battery reason i would suspect but it still wont be anywhere close to a NVIDIA 9400m but it should be better than what u have now :)

6. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I haven't tried GMAbooster yet, will report back when I do.

So I hooked up the blackbook to my MBP, which has Sims 3 installed via Target Disk Mode.

I booted the Blackbook off of my MBP's HD.

It ran Sims 3 without any glitches or anything, it just ran slow(still on 1GB of RAM for another day). I don't see why it won't run the same or better after using GMAbooster...

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

It ran The Sims 3, after they stated that Intel GMA950 wasn't supported?...
    Intriguing, either a clever strategy to get people to upgrade their computers before getting the Sims 3, or EA were actually wrong! :O:eek::eek::eek:

8. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Since when it is not able to run under OS X. The version I have says WIN/MAC right on the front of the DVD.

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

It is able to run under both operating systems, there is only one version of the disc, and it houses both installers on it. Check hidden files, you'll see it all there.

10. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Exactly. Which is why I don't understand why the OP thinks he needs to have windows to run it.

11. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Just an early misconception I guess. We can't all know everything :D Well you all can't... :cool:

12. jmaquarry macrumors member

It Works!

I believe the OP means that the graphics chip is unsupported NOT the operating system :)

Incidentally i have just loaded sims 3 into my whitebook gma950 with GMABOOSTER set to 400mhz and it runs like a charm :) SLIGHTLY choppy but not a problem really - runs much better than my girlfriends 1 year old windows pc :)

(before installing gmabooster the sims 3 would not load on my whitebook thus proving that indeed the gma booster should help - especially considering the blackbook has a faster processor)

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Interesting. So the game doesn't recognise all components of a graphics card, just it's speed, which is why Sims isn't supposed to run on GMA. Cool, didn't know that :D

14. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I was referring to the GMA950 graphics chip - it is supported under Windows(up to 244MB VRAM), and not under OS X.

I installed Sims 3 on the Blackbook and it started up and runs(although a little choppy). Overclocked the GPU and it ran a little less choppy. Should work out well..

Don't blame me if it doesn't work for you though.:D

15. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Ok update.

When I was testing before, it was with an already created Sim. When it gets to the "Create a Sim" part, even with the GPU overclocked to 400MHz, it displays the Sim being created as a completely black being with hair and eyes.

Once you get into actual gameplay, the sim looks fine. So I suppose you'll either have to deal with the default style of your Sim, or set up your Sim on a capable machine, and move it to your Macbook.;)

16. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia