Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
I am getting the 12 pro soon, and wanted to know about the sim card. I have with Verizon their plan and an 8Plus I am upgrading from.
Do I transfer the sim card before or after the quick setup from the old phone?

I can't seem to find anything on when to do it.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
You can set the new phone up over wifi and swap the SIM later. It doesn't matter. I've done it that way before and the other way.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
I had been looking at the 12 pro for a while and started looking deeper, before I realized I was on the path to a new phone. The 8 Plus is a bit heavy in the pocket and I wanted something smaller with all the whistles and bells that I think are coming eventually. I guess if I get into trouble, I can go to verizon or the apple store. I am trading in the old phone. Should be interesting.

thank you for the help. I think I inherited the worry from Mom.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I am getting the 12 pro soon, and wanted to know about the sim card. I have with Verizon their plan and an 8Plus I am upgrading from.
Do I transfer the sim card before or after the quick setup from the old phone?

I can't seem to find anything on when to do it.
If you are purchasing a Verizon phone directly from Apple, it will come with a sim card already installed. You just turn on the new phone and it will walk you through activating the new sim prior to the setup process of transferring data from your old phone.

If you are buying from Verizon, then they will likely put a new SIM in there as well. Not sure what their activation process is, but you can always just setup the phone without transferring any data, then once the SIM is active, just erase all settings and content on the new phone and rerun the setup process to transfer the data from your old phone.

If you buy a sim free phone, then the above recommendations would be correct.

Reactions: WeatherWeasel

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I had been looking at the 12 pro for a while and started looking deeper, before I realized I was on the path to a new phone. The 8 Plus is a bit heavy in the pocket and I wanted something smaller with all the whistles and bells that I think are coming eventually. I guess if I get into trouble, I can go to verizon or the apple store. I am trading in the old phone. Should be interesting.

thank you for the help. I think I inherited the worry from Mom.
I had the Plus phones for years and they kept getting bigger and heavier. I have the iPhone 12 Pro and it’s perfect for me. It’s been great.

Do a back up to iCloud on the old phone just in case. But I’m sure you'll have no problem doing the transfer. Easy, peasy.

Reactions: WeatherWeasel

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
If you are purchasing a Verizon phone directly from Apple, it will come with a sim card already installed. You just turn on the new phone and it will walk you through activating the new sim prior to the setup process of transferring data from your old phone.

If you are buying from Verizon, then they will likely put a new SIM in there as well. Not sure what their activation process is, but you can always just setup the phone without transferring any data, then once the SIM is active, just erase all settings and content on the new phone and rerun the setup process to transfer the data from your old phone.

If you buy a sim free phone, then the above recommendations would be correct.
You are correct. I guess I just assume that most buy the phones outright from Apple like I do and just transfer the old SIM.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I ordered a 12 (trading in my XR) from Verizon. The phone came with a SIM card installed. I backed up my XR to iCloud and then restored the 12 from that backup. Left the XR sim in the XR.

All good regarding the XR backup to the 12 in general.

However, the activation of the new phone was a nightmare. During the normal iPhone setup on the 12 (choose language, input your wifi, restore from backup, etc), it went to a screen for activation that said something like “next” (the usual). Well, I got an error message. Then it gave me a phone number to call to activate. I called it and it was some crazy automated message about making a collect call. The hell?

Then I called the normal Verizon contact number and went through the prompts to activate the phone. I had no idea if it would work and by the time I saw the cellular bars show up in the status bar (meaning it was activated), the phone was nearly done restoring from the XR backup.

So, yay, it was fully restored and activated. Then I started to receive texts from Verizon and notifications from the Verizon app saying I had run out of data (I’m on the small 2GB plan, don’t need unlimited). So I had to call again and talk to a real person about the data issue. They fixed it for me, but damn, what a process.

This is only my experience, though. I hope it goes smoothly for you!

Edit: Please note that I didn’t do any “Quick Setup.” I prefer to do the standard Apple method (sans having the old phone directly communicate with the new phone for transferring content… better said “the old way”). Hopefully the method you use works great.

Last edited:

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I will let you know how it shakes out whenit arrives tomorrow.

There are apparently several different ways to move from an old phone to a new one. I do it the way I always have but these newer tech thingies may make it much easier. Good luck to you, sir.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I usually put the old sim into new phone first. After your done setting up phone, and if it doesn’t activate properly, it helps sometimes to power off iPhone, and power it back on.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
Phone arrived an it is loading apps , however... The phone wouldn't transfer over the information to connect to verizon, so after not getting anywhere, I moved the sim cards and got on. Then when I went to put them back , I dropped the 5G. So verizon is going to send me a new card and how to activate it. It should have set up easily, but it refused. the local verizon store is taking appointments out 3 weeks from now.

Now the issue is going to be getting the apps to update rather than be frozen in a "loading" queue. I have an idea on how to do that. I have already deleted all the stuff on the phone I am trading in.

Just getting used to everythin.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Phone arrived an it is loading apps , however... The phone wouldn't transfer over the information to connect to verizon, so after not getting anywhere, I moved the sim cards and got on. Then when I went to put them back , I dropped the 5G. So verizon is going to send me a new card and how to activate it. It should have set up easily, but it refused. the local verizon store is taking appointments out 3 weeks from now.

Now the issue is going to be getting the apps to update rather than be frozen in a "loading" queue. I have an idea on how to do that. I have already deleted all the stuff on the phone I am trading in.

Just getting used to everythin.
I had this happen with my new iPad. Try holding your finger down on one of the apps that’s loading. It might give you an option there.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
There is always a plan B. When the chip arrives, will make an appointment at the local Verizon store and let them fumble getting it in and then they can activate it. This problem solved... Now for my next when it happens . :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.