SIM Card and Service

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thatoneguy82, May 9, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have a VZW new iPad that doesn't have a prepaid data plan. Instead, it has my MIFi SIM and works the same. I had to cut it down to size for the iPad, however, I messed up and cut about 1mm at the edge. However, it still worked when I put it in; LTE and Hotspot as well. Anyway, I noticed that in a low service area, I tend to see the status bar fluctuate a lot more and go to searching than when I had the original prepaid micro SIM. I have canceled that account, so the SIM is dead but have another. But, I'm wondering if the error in cutting my SIM can result in this fluctuation. Also, if asking for a replacement, would they provide a regular SIM or microSIM?

Thanks!

EDIT: Photo of my SIM Card.

[​IMG]
    LEFT: MiFi SIM that was cut a little too much to be a micro SIM.
    RIGHT: Normal micro SIM.

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

If you want a micro sim call Verizon and tell them you need to replace your MiFi sim because it is damaged. Tell them you dropped it and the dog chewed it. Tell them you picked up a replacement sim and need to activate it. Give them the info off the new micro and they should have no problem setting it up. They will have no idea what size it is.

3. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Are you saying that this microSIM that I have, which is a prepaid SIM (unactivated) can be used in my device? All I need to do is call VZW is give them the really long number on the SIM card? Also, would this work on the MiFi with an adapter like it does currently?

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

No such thing as "prepaid sim" (unless you have already activated it on a prepaid account). A sim is a sim. It's like a blank piece of paper. Until it is activated it isn't either a pre-paid or postpaid sim, it's just a blank sim, at least with Verizon.

VZW certainly won't give you a micro-sim for a Mi-Fi since they don't use a micro for that, but trying what I said is the only way you have a chance to get your mi-fi account moved to a micro-sim other than doing what you have already done and cut it down. They still may refuse to do it for some other non-sensical reason simply like "we don't do that" because they are idiots. It's your only other option short of getting another full-size sim from them and cutting it down.

By the way, you can buy a sim cutter for under $5 and do a much more accurate cut: http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SIM-Cut...WF8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336620199&sr=8-1 I've been doing that for years on AT&T & T-Mobile. They work fine.

Here is a similar experience I had with VZW regarding getting a replacement micro-sim for a pre-paid account: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1351655&highlight=confirmed+

They said they "don't have any pre-paid sims" but I bought a so-called post-paid sim and it worked fine on a pre-paid account.