Sim card exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by camardelle, Feb 26, 2013.

1. camardelle macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4, and have just received another unlocked iPhone 4. If I take my current sim card and put it into the newer one will it just boot up like my old one?

Also, once I log into my iTunes account, will all my data upload from the cloud into the newer phone?

Thanks in advance for our help.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Doesn't work like that. The only info on the sim card is your phone number and maybe some contact information. That's it.

3. camardelle thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that that's all the sim card has on it, but once I log on with my Apple id, won't my contacts and such upload to my phone?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only if you log in to your icloud account and you have your contacts and other info saved there. Then you can restore from icloud backup.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

as stated, putting your SIM card into ANY unlocked GSM phone, will "activate" that specific phone as yours since the SIM card contains all account and billing info, including your phone number.

it however will not load or restore prior icloud information, until you select to do so. the SIM care is only used nowadays to register and authenticate your phone on the network, no user data is stored on them anymore.

upon placing your SIM into the phone, you can make and receive phone calls and messages just as if it were your old phone. however, restoring data is a different operation.