Sim Card Help UK iPhone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HG7, Aug 13, 2010.

1. HG7 macrumors newbie

Hello, I currently have an iPhone 3GS on Orange UK. A family member has just recieved an iPhone4 on there contract on Orange but we have agreed I will have the new iPhone4 and they will have my iPhone 3GS. But now I have noticed the new iPhone4 sim card is very small in comparison to my current sim card meaning it does not fit the iPhone4, is there anyway to solve this? It is probably a stupid question, but how can I swap them if the sim cards are different sizes?

Thank you.

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Well in your case its either requesting a micro sim from Orange and having your number ported over to it, or risking your Sim card by cutting it down to fit.

The family member should be ok considering that a micro sim to full Sim adapter should have been issued with the iPhone 4. (I'm on Orange and this was the case with me when I purchased it at an Orange store)

3. HG7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick reply.

Another quick question, sorry. Do you think Orange would mind sending me a micro sim with my number on it if the iPhone is registered to another contract or do you think it would be fine because I am already on an iPhone contract?

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Not too sure, you'll have to ask. I'm sure they would be happy to send you one, wether they will port the number before you get it i'm not sure.

Since the act of porting your number would mean that your existing SIM gets disabled they might want you to start that process off yourself.

5. HG7 thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I port the number myself? Sorry I am totally new to activating phones, Macs seem much more simple! :eek:

6. molala macrumors 6502a

It won't matter. You can tell Orange you got a new iPhone 4 sim-free from Apple so it has nothing to do with your or anyone else's contract.

But as other poster said, they will have to port over your number to that micro-sim. Might take a few days.

7. HG7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh right, as long as they couldn't track that I am using a family members iPhone4 from then.

I could live without my phone for a few days if it meant I got the new iPhone for myself I think. :p

8. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

A correction on my part:

You start that process off yourself by calling Orange and asking them to port the number over to the new micro sim.

9. molala macrumors 6502a

Porting over is something Orange will do, it just means transferring a phone number to a new sim card.

Get a micro-sim card from them, and ask them to port (or transfer) your phone number to that new sim card. It might take a day or 2 for them to complete the process.

10. HG7 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Darwin & molala

Oh right, thank you very much for your help guys really appreciate it!

11. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

Just save yourself all that hassle and cut the SIM down. Its not dangerous or anything like that - all you are doing is cutting off the excess plastic area to make it fit. You can find enough video guides on Youtube showing you how to do this. Also there are guides on Engadget and Gizmodo.

The person who got the iPhone4 probably got a micro SIM too. So you can use that as a template over the bigger SIM to figure out where to do the cuts. Also if you have a spare unused/unwated SIM - you can practice cutting that first - but really it isnt a big issue.

12. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

And don't forget that it is only the middle three contacts that are used, not the outside ones, so if you need to trim the gold contacts on the top of the sim to get your large sim card to size it won't matter- the only vital bit is the square chip embedded in the plastic (which you can see and feel if you turn the sim card upside down) and you won't be cutting anywhere near that.

Another reason to do this is that if Orange do port your number to a micro-sim (which I am sure they will do), they'll want to start the clock again on your 12 month or 18 month contract time.