Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
My wife was not eligible for an upgrade so I bought a $599 'no commitment' iPhone 4 from the Apple Store today. I was planning on giving it to her in a few weeks as a gift.

However, a few hours after I purchased the iP4, my wife's current 3GS stopped working (showed 'No Service'). When I called AT&T, they told me that my 3GS SIM was de-activated and the iP4 SIM # was now associated with her account.

I still want to surprise her with the iP4 and have her continue using the 3GS until then. The rep told me that her 3GS SIM cannot be re-activated and that we would have to go to an ATT Store to get a new SIM.

My question is then whether her iP4 SIM would permanently disabled once deactivated (like my 3GS SIM apparently is) and whether I'd have to get a new SIM when we're ready for her to use the iP4.

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I would say suprise it to her now since you'd have to go to ATT to get new sim cards the switch it back to normal and get another sim card to give it to her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.