SIM Card not supported!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jontucker, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jontucker macrumors 6502

Anyone have any idea why my iPhone won't activate and iTunes says "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does appear to be supported"?

I had my iPhone 3G exchanged earlier today and the Apple Genius who dealt with it for me activate the phone with my SIM card in it. I've been using it al day no problem.

However, it had 2.0.2 on it so I upgraded it to 2.1 and now it wont activate, it gives the above error message.

Nothing is different about the SIM card, I tried it in another iPhone and it works fine. I've tried restoring the phone 2 or 3 times but no good.

Anyone come across this before and fixed it?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Make sure you are getting the SIM card seated correctly in the holder. If that doesn't do it, you will need a new phone or a new SIM. Sounds like its back to the Apple store for you. :eek:

3. jontucker thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I've reseated the card several times. I've tried my SIM in another iPhone and it worked. I've also tried another SIM in my iPhone and that didn't work.

It does seem like the phone is at fault but I was hoping there was an easy fix. It was working fine until I upgraded the firmware to 2.1.

Bugger... the Apple store is over an hour away... :(

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I can't remember exactly how the restore process goes, but when you begin the process does iTunes re-download the 2.1 software?

5. baileya1c macrumors member

Same problem

I had the same problem with a refurb I got from Apple a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I went home I had to update it to 2.1, then I started to have problems with it so I did a restore a couple of days ago. Long story short, and a couple of hours of talking to Apple tech support, I had to go to the Genius bar and get a new iPhone. They seemed very perplexed and wanted all kinds of log files, they really seemed concerned why this happened. Maybe they will want as much information from you. I know that they were not able to fix it and I ended up with another refurb, my third one this month already. I never had these problems with my 2g. Anyways, hope this helps.