SIM Card question: iPhone 4 GSM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IpadSC400, Nov 9, 2013.

1. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Patient: iPhone 4 GSM
    GB? Unknown

Just replaced cracked screen and LCD and I could not find out what gb or what carrier this iPhone is so I can sell it.

My question for you guys:
    Can I buy an AT&T SIM card and insert it without doing a thing so that the iphone recognize a SIM card, and lets me continue? I would love to know.

And, I know, n00b question, I still have to pay for service with a pre paid SIM, correct? What about with 3G/WiFi?

Thanks

2. IpadSC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i think as long as there is a SIM card in the tray, active or not, it should let you proceed. but im not 100% sure. it may need wifi or itunes to activate.

4. IpadSC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Well, i have iTunes and WiFi so I'll at least get that far. Thnx.

What about the other questions?

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

If it is an AT&T phone then you simply need to put an AT&T sim into the phone to get past the activation screen. The sim does not need to be active. You can then use the phone without any sort of cellular service to get what you are looking for.

6. IpadSC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Thanks!

Also, I was wondering about this: The SIM card is pre paid, right, so it should work automatically or no?

Ordered AT&T SIM.

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yes, a prepaid sim is fine.

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

as long as ANY sim card is in the tray, it should let you proceed.

9. IpadSC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

So...I have service with a Pre paid? If tht is the case, then I have to pay extra for WiFi...or am I not understanding this?

And, I know now, the SIM will be enough to activate the phone.

THNX. ;)

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

If it is an AT&T phone and the SIM is active then you can use the prepaid service with the SIM card. If it's locked to another carrier then the SIM won't get you anywhere.
    You will need to connect to a WiFi network to go through the activation process, or connect it to a computer that has Internet access and use iTunes. (Assuming it has been upgraded to iOS 5. If it is still running iOS 4 then you will need to activate the phone using iTunes)

11. IpadSC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Well, it's running iOS7 actually. I punch the WiFi in and the iPhone connects, but I cannot get past that. I wasn't able to use iTunes because it wont let me access the details of the phone. It says the SIM card slot is empty, therefore, I cannot collect information about the iphone. iOS7 new feature, maybe? Glitch like the activation lock? Who knows...I'll letcha all know what happens when I slap that AT&T SIM in there.

Thanks for the help!:cool:

12. IpadSC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Searched the Serial number on some independent website and it said this iPhone was 16gb, and was AT&T. So It looked like my guess if SIM card was correct! :D

13. IpadSC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Ima idiot. Got a large SIM instead of a micro sim card. Cut out the micro from the large and it was not aligned so I oredered another SIM card, but this time, an AT&T unlocking SIM. iPhone is now working. Thanks all. :cool:

14. doctor-don macrumors 65816

So many devices - cracked phone display / LCD? Unknown carrier?

Are you a thief or did you retrieve the phone from a dumpster?

15. IpadSC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Haha, no, I'm a DIY'er. I buy and sell on eBay. (Most, I do.) I also fix androids/HTC/LG ect.

I'm no thief...though...a lot of the smartphones I get in larger lots do end up having an already activated ESN. Contract lasts after phone gets lost and people dont care and leave it activated. :D

I'm 17 years old, no I'm not a thief.

16. IpadSC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400