sim card question iphone5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsthetouch, Sep 11, 2012.

1. itsthetouch macrumors member

So I have a Motorola Atrix I got about a year ago.

If my dad gets the iphone5 would we be able to just switch sim cards, so that I can use it and he uses my phone? Or would it not work? We're on AT&T.
    Thanks!

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The new iphone will probably have a nano SIM, so no; However, at&t will give you a new SIM for free.

3. itsthetouch thread starter macrumors member

So how would I go about doing it?

Obviously we just want to use my dad's upgrade price that he can get, since i'm still under 2 years. Would they allow that?

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

yeah, it would basically be like saying "hey, someone gave me this phone for free and I want to use it instead." They would just give you a nano SIM to put in the new phone and your Dad the SIM he needs.

the phone will come already with the correct SIM, so you may be able to just activate it on your account instead of his....not sure though.

5. naveah macrumors regular

Make sure you go to an AT&T corporate store, because sometimes those mall kiosks will charge you for the SIM.

6. itsthetouch thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if they would give me a hard time or not about doing that.

7. itsthetouch thread starter macrumors member

What happens if I have the old unlimited data plan on my phone but he doesn't?

Would we be able to switch and I keep that plan while he gets the new data plan?