Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsthetouch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
So I have a Motorola Atrix I got about a year ago.

If my dad gets the iphone5 would we be able to just switch sim cards, so that I can use it and he uses my phone? Or would it not work? We're on AT&T.
Thanks!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The new iphone will probably have a nano SIM, so no; However, at&t will give you a new SIM for free.

itsthetouch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
The new iphone will probably have a nano SIM, so no; However, at&t will give you a new SIM for free.

So how would I go about doing it?

Obviously we just want to use my dad's upgrade price that he can get, since i'm still under 2 years. Would they allow that?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So how would I go about doing it?

Obviously we just want to use my dad's upgrade price that he can get, since i'm still under 2 years. Would they allow that?

yeah, it would basically be like saying "hey, someone gave me this phone for free and I want to use it instead." They would just give you a nano SIM to put in the new phone and your Dad the SIM he needs.

the phone will come already with the correct SIM, so you may be able to just activate it on your account instead of his....not sure though.

naveah

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Atlanta
yeah, it would basically be like saying "hey, someone gave me this phone for free and I want to use it instead." They would just give you a nano SIM to put in the new phone and your Dad the SIM he needs.

the phone will come already with the correct SIM, so you may be able to just activate it on your account instead of his....not sure though.

Make sure you go to an AT&T corporate store, because sometimes those mall kiosks will charge you for the SIM.

itsthetouch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if they would give me a hard time or not about doing that.

itsthetouch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
What happens if I have the old unlimited data plan on my phone but he doesn't?

Would we be able to switch and I keep that plan while he gets the new data plan?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.