Sim Card Question! Please Help Me Out :D

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SiskoKid, Jun 22, 2010.

1. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Hey, guys!

I don't know much about sim cards. AT&T has told me two stories, and I just wanna see if anyone has experience in this area to help me out.

I just bought a microsim card from an AT&T store. Reason being is I'm doing an upgrade swap. The main line on our family account is using the discount and then handing the iPhone 4 to me. I in turn will be giving them my iPhone 3GS.

Here come the sim card questions. Since an iPhone 3GS has a normal sim card, the main line of our account can simply put their sim card in the 3GS and then it'll work. Correct? Are there additional steps? Do they put the sim card in and then sync with iTunes?

In terms of the iPhone 4 I'll be getting, we're picking it up at an Apple store and they HAVE TO activate it using the main line. So from what AT&T told me, I can't use that sim card hence my buying a blank microsim card.

Now an AT&T rep at the store told me that before I put the new microsim card in the iPhone 4, I have to call an AT&T rep, activate the sim card itself AND THEN place it in the iPhone 4. Another AT&T rep said to just put the blank microsim card in the iPhone 4 and sync it with iTunes and follow instructions to put it on your phone line. I don't wanna mess anything up as I only have 1 microsim card. Can anyone help me with what I should do?

2. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

seriously....way too long

with the iPhone 4 all you have to do is plug it into iTunes, activate it, restore it, then play with it. since it already has the Micro Sim in the iPhone 4 already.

thats it
    no and then

3. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was told I didn't even need a different card by several reps & this board. From my understanding, all you need to do is call up AT&T to switch over the number before the Apple employee activates it. Just tell the Apple employee helping you that you're doing an upgrade swap & you need to call AT&T first.

4. SiskoKid thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple has made it clear that they WILL NOT do the swap for you. I've confirmed this on the board by ex employees on the board no less. They don't have the ability to give you the discount and look up other numbers on a family account.

I also confirmed this calling Apple multiple times. Hence the microsim card in the iPhone 4 we'll be taking home WILL NOT be activated under the same number. I suggest if you're in my situation, you do what I'm doing, buy a blank microsim and have it ready. And it's my understanding that once a sim is activated, you can't change it.

Can someone help to clarify?

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

STOP, please read the POST.

The thread starter is doing an UPGRADE SWAP! Your information is wrong and will cause the need for additional SIM / Micro SIM cards.

For all, go here and read....

iPhone 4 Upgrade: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/iphone4upgradesupport.jsp

Dave

6. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

This is what i would do. Activste the iphone 4 normally. Then chop down the sim from the 3GS into the micro sim size (google it). Then, get a microsim to sim adapter to fit the sim from the iPhone 4 into the 3GS.

7. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Are microSIMS already available? The AT&T rep said they won't be available until launch day.

Edit: Just called my local AT&T store. She said they would have to use a new, blank card. She also said that they won't have the microSIM cards yet, but the Apple store should have stock of blank microSIM cards, but for some reason I doubt that. I'll probably just go check out the AT&T line to see how long it is. I have a reservation at the Apple store, but f it isn't long, I'll go there instead.

8. SiskoKid thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought mine a few days ago for $15 from an AT&T store. I am happy to see that official AT&T link above. It sounds like the swap will be easier than I thought :)

9. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I called eight local AT&T store, & only one has microSIMS. I'm going to pick up one just to be safe. :)
    Unfortunately, mine was $25. WTFBBQ?

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I'm just shocked you're being charged at all over there,just walked into o2 shop here today and picked up replacement micro sim in readyness.

11. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I think it just depends. I have called AT&T to get a free one before, & they've even given me a free one inside the store, but I think it really just depends on the person selling it to you.