Sim Card Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbl1, Sep 6, 2011.

1. mbl1 macrumors newbie

I have an iphone 4. I live in Canada and am on the Sasktel network. Is it possible for me to give my iphone 4 to one of my parents and take their iphone 5 when it comes out and just switch sims?

Michael

2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Yes, the iPhones on Canadian carriers are factory unlocked so that shouldn't be a problem.

3. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Harvey Specter

Yeah you should be able to do that unless the sim card slot for the iPhone 5 is even smaller than the 4

4. mbl1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks. So when you change sims, does it save ALL the settings from one to the next? So my iphone 5 will look identical in terms of contacts, apps, etc, compared to my iphone 4?

5. ann713 macrumors 6502a

No, I think the only thing that would transfer along with the SIM card are your contacts. Everything else thing will remain AS IS. If you want your apps, settings, SMS and such to be transferred over - just back up your iPhone 4 via iTunes and restore from that backup when you set up your iPhone 5.

6. mbl1 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I switch sim to the iphone 5 would be number still be the same from the iphone 4?

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Your SIM is the "ID card" for your account with your wireless company. So any phone with that SIM card will have that account's phone number.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Your phone number will remain the same since the account is tied to the sim card.