iPad Pro Sim card question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleFan360, Feb 25, 2016.

1. AppleFan360, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I will be moving from an iPad Air 2 to an iPad Pro. Currently my iPad Air 2 is on my AT&T wireless mobile share plan. It has the Apple Sim Card installed.

When I get my iPad Pro, all I need to do is simply swap the sim cards between the two devices right? This would move my data plan to the iPad Pro, and the iPad Air 2 would have a fresh sim card for the next user when I sell it.

Would this work? Do I even need to call AT&T to let them know what I'm doing?

Thanks.

2. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

That is correct - AT&T's systems should update your IMEI number automatically, and since it's going to be on the same plan, nothing will change. If you took an iPad SIM and put it in an iPhone, the system typically will change your plan for the device. If you do run into issues, you could call them and just have them update the IMEI for that line, but that's in more extreme circumstances.

3. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that when I wipe the iPad Air 2, the next owner won't have any issues activating a cellular account.

4. Pspressart macrumors regular

I know my situation is a little different because I have an AT&T SIM with the unlimited data plan, but every time I switched to a newer device, I was able to move my plan without any problem.

5. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I'm in the UK and use the EE network.

I did exactly what you describe and it worked exactly as I'd hoped.