Carrier Sim Card Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ArkieBiker, Sep 29, 2016.

1. ArkieBiker macrumors regular

ArkieBiker

I'll try to not make this confusing.

First the facts:
    1. My wife has an iPhone 5S
    2. I have an iPhone 6 Plus
    3. I bought an iPhone 7 Plus
    4. AT&T is my carrier

OK, I get my iPhone 7 Plus (which has a new sim card in it). I activate and set up my new phone. Cool, no problems.

Next, I erase the iPhone 6 Plus and take the SIM card out. I take the SIM card out of my wifes phone (iPhone 5s) and insert it into the iPhone 6 Plus (she gets my handme downs). I set her phone up and all is still well.

Finally, I take my OLD SIM card out that was in my original iPhone 6 Plus and place it into the iPhone 5s and erase that phone.

My question now is...my wife is going to give the old iPhone 5s to a co-worker at her work and the person just called me to ask if they needed a NEW SIM card (from the ATT store), of could they use the one currently in the phone. I don't know...

Isn't the SIM card just for activating the phone...does it even matter? Should the person go get a new SIM card?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    Also...any other tips to make it easier for someone with the transition for this person that is not used to an iPhone. Thanks.

2. mrmike316 macrumors regular

The person you're giving the phone to will need there own ATT sim.

3. noobinator macrumors 601

Yes, they need a new sim card (or and old sim they can just pop in if they have a nano sim currently) and no you should not give them your sim (even though it's deactivated now). It became deactivated once you activated the new sim card in your new phone. Sim cards are tied to your account (until deactivated).