SIM card question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SolRayz, Jul 16, 2008.

1. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

My wife and I both have 1st gen iPhones on the family talk plan. I want to upgrade to the iPhone 3G and give her mine because the glass on hers is broken. How do I go about doing this?

Is it as simple as me going and buying a new iPhone, activitating it with my new SIM at the Apple store, then taking her SIM and putting in my old iPhone and activating it on itunes? Or do I have to go to AT&T and have them do it at a fee?

2. showtime macrumors 6502

Yup all you have to do is restore your old iphone, put in her sim and reactivate the phone

3. SolRayz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Is this true...because someone at the Apple store said I couldn't do that because the IMEI number is linked to her phone and would have to go through AT&T.

4. Planet Telex macrumors member

I'm going to do something similar. I haven't actually been able to try it, but from what I've been able to gather on several forums, it will kind of work.

If you switch sims, everything should work except for visual voicemail. VVM is what the IMEI is needed for. Since the phone will be registered to the phone# the upgrade was purchased with, VVM will only work with that line.

I'm ok without the VVM so I'll be going this route.