Sim card question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by polishmacuser, Aug 19, 2008.

1. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

Can iphones from the united states work on supported carriers in europe for instance i would go to britain and buy myself a legit sim card would it work on my iphone with no problems or would i have to wait for a unlock or do i jailbreak and hacktivate it? Thanks for whoever replies :) because i am really pissed that these new iphones are not unlockable eh

2. Inukami macrumors 6502

won't work, i would suggest a smart sim card that unlocks the current 3G iPhones.

Rebelsim is one of them..

3. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I'm pretty sure that you can use it with the sim card that's in it already. You will be roaming, but it will work. I have no idea wether it will work with another sim card, but I would venture a guess that at least the phone portion would work (I stand by to be slammed for that guess!! LOL).

4. polishmacuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

god dang well at least theres that but why wont they let you :( and how does that work i read it and it looks quite weird and complicated

5. Inukami macrumors 6502

Because its carrier locked to AT&T and no the smart sim card is not complicated its actually a rather easy method(well at least for prepaid sim cards)

1*You take out your 3G sim card out of your iPhone.
    2*Cut a portion of the prepaid sim card with a sim cutter(it makes a hole in a part of the sim card that wont damage the prepaid sim card)
    3*put your smart sim card and your prepaid sim card together in the slot and thats it.

This i'll basically trick the iPhone into thinking its still with the same provider and let you use the prepaid sim card thats in the iphone.

If you wanted to sign up with another network on a plan i think it would be just like any other phones, just place the smart sim card instead of the 3g one.

6. polishmacuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

thanks :) so overall it is better but i hate the fact you have to destroy your sim card but i guess its awesome :)

7. Inukami macrumors 6502

wut? You don't destroy the sim card. The 3G sim card you don't use...

You use the smart sim card that you bought(such as rebelsim) and the prepaid sim card.

All you do is cut the prepaid sim card and put the two together(smart sim card and prepaid sim card)

8. polishmacuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

no i know that im talking about my prepaid sim card i had that card for over a year and when im done using it i will put it in another phone thats all