sim card swap 3g-4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonn428, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jonn428 macrumors newbie

hey how's it going? Im new to this website, my question is If i buy a new iphone 4 on craigslist, can i just swap my sim card from my iphone 3g to the new one without any problems? does it have to be unlocked? Thanks any help is greatly appreciated

2. Smtevo macrumors 6502

no you cannot, they are two different sim cards. iPhone4 has a micro sim and the 3g has a regular sim.

3. jonn428 thread starter macrumors newbie

damn, okay thanks. Do you know how I can get the iphone 4 without renewing my contract? if i buy it with no commitment the 699$ one would that work?

4. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Actually yes you can, you just have to cut it, you can google how to do it, and then you have to re-program the phone to have the 3G work again (at least that what I had to do, the VPN wasn't configured but it only took some copy paste and it worked and I don't know anything about programming) you can google that too.

And of course it has to be unlocked and activated if you're going to use it on another carrier.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

All of this! also is easier if your carrier has the micro-sim card then you can ask them to give you a micro sim for your phone (they will cancel your old one and the new card would become your active one with the same phone number as the old one) and just buy an sim to micro-sim adapter for the times you want to put the card on your 3G or other phones. If you are precise with an exacto knife you can just cut it like bender said...

6. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

Yes. I swap between my 4 and my 3G without problem. I requested a micro-SIM from my carrier, and ordered a SIM adaptor. When I received my iPhone 4, I removed the mini-SIM from my 3G, used the special page on my carrier's website to deactivate the old mini-SIM and activate the new micro-SIM, then stuck the new micro-SIM in my iPhone 4 and away I went. To put the micro-SIM in my 3G, I just pull it out of the 4, put it in the adaptor, and put the adaptor in my 3G. It works no problem!

Disclaimer: I ordered an unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple; my 3G is locked to my carrier, and I was continuing with my carrier's contract. If I wanted to change carriers, I'd have to unlock my 3G to use it with the new carrier.