Sim card swap process for pre-ordered 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DJinTX, Oct 4, 2011.

1. DJinTX macrumors 6502

So if I decide to go with a 4S and pre-order it to be shipped to my home, am I able to somehow initiate transfer of service from my 3Gs? When I upgraded from original iPhone to 3Gs I just went to the Apple store and they did all the work. Will I have to go to an Apple or AT&T store to complete the switch?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

If ordering as an upgrade on your existing line it should arrive with a new microsim and instructions on calling an automated system @ AT&T to activate the phone. The old SIM in your 3GS is deactivated by AT&T's system. You shouldn't need to go into a store.

3. DJinTX thread starter macrumors 6502

So does that mean I need to order through AT&T only? Or can I order through Apple?

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I've not ordered one from Apple, but I can't imagine it being any different.

I don't remember seeing any posting last year about ordering online from Apple and having to go into a store to activate. No do I recall seeing anything about people's service getting usurped by their in-transit phones, so they probably didn't ship as active on the phone number. This leaves one possibility, that is the users activated the phones after receiving them. :D

5. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Does not matter.

6. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

You don't need to call, all you should have to do is plug it into iTunes.

7. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

8. DJinTX thread starter macrumors 6502