sim cutting and compatibility

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by lostngone, Mar 14, 2010.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Ok from what I have read the new 3FF/micro-sim is backward compatible(with tray adapter) with the larger mini-sim used in almost every GSM phone on the market today.

My question is if I cut down my Mini-sim from my iPhone does anyone know if it will work in the iPad?

I am wondering if AT&T or the iPad will do some sort of sim ID check to check for this.

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

We won't know until it's released sadly.

3. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

i hope i can just transfer it to the microsim instead of cutting it. and the only thing that can be better is if the next iphone uses micro sim. damn i would love steve if he does that.

4. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Just because a sim can be cut does not mean it will work in the iPad. I don't even know if an AT&T sim can be cut without damage. Some sims are designed so they can't be cut/shaved.

5. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Well if that's the case (that some can't be cut/shaved, which I've never heard of), then with all due respect, who do you think will have that information here? As for "will the sim work in the iPad?" then surely that depends on the carrier, not the composition of the sim itself. Ask the carrier, maybe? If they don't know, then nobody here can say for sure.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

6. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Some sim will run a wire/s around the outside edge of the card so if it shaved the wire will get cut, disabling the card. I do not know who here would have an answer that is why I asked the question in a forum. I know some iPads have been handed out to be looked at/reviewed with signed NDAs of course but sometimes informations has ways of leaking. I have asked people at AT&T stores but more then half the times I have asked they don't even know what a micro-sim is. I have sent e-mail and have not gotten(and most likey won't) any response from AT&T corporate.

However, thank you for your response.

7. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Just put my order in - so I can go from iPad to iPhone or iPad to MiFi :) - fantastic - can't wait to get the 3G iPad and the adapter