Sim Free iPhone 6S Plus is not reading Sim Card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Random87, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Random87 macrumors member

I just got my iPhone 6S Plus, Sim Free 64 GB, today and when I put in my Metro PCS Sim Card, it said No Service in the status bar. This same sim card has worked flawlessly on my iPhone 5 for the past few years but my 6S Plus is not reading it. I restored the phone from my iPhone 5 backup.

Any suggestions? I don't want to exchange it because it has a very good screen and I am hesitant to set it up as New because I'll lose all my Candy Crush progress but if I have to, then I will.

2. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I just got my 128GB Sim Free 6S Plus today. All I did is pop my AT&T Sim in with the phone off. When I powered it on and went through the activation process, it displayed AT&T LTE. It works fine with my T-Mobile Sim too. You can try putting it into Airplane mode and see if that helps. Also, make sure your SIM card is properly seated in the Sim Tray or it won't recognize that it's in.

3. Random87 thread starter macrumors member

No luck. i even set it up as new and still nothing

4. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Are you positive you purchased a unlocked phone?

You should be able to just pop in any SIM card.

I've used mine fine with 3 different sims

5. chestvrg macrumors 65816

That is so strange. I would take it back to the Apple Store and see if they can exchange it for another SIM free model. Which model do you have? The A1633?

6. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Your SIM card is pretty old - there could be some incompatibility with the new phone. Maybe try getting a new card from your carrier.

7. vlinkz macrumors regular

Seems like a problem with the card, just got my sim free 6s+ and it works fine with a new sim.

8. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Yes mine worked fine as well. I was able to swap my Tmobile SIM inside the Apple Store the day I got mine. Immediately activated. This must be either a defective unit, a bad SIM, or they gave the OP a locked phone.

9. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

I'm almost certain with Metro you can't swap SIM cards and it automatically works. I've heard you have to take it to a Metro store and have them activate the phone on your account

10. Random87 thread starter macrumors member

Sounds about right from what I was able to find online. I have to get a new SIM card so I'm going to my metro pcs store today after work to get a new sim. Hopefully this fixes the problem because I won't be able to go to an Apple Retail Store until Saturday.

11. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Odd must be the carrier I know that the sim from my iPhone 5 (over 3 years old now) still works flawless in my 6S.

12. Random87 thread starter macrumors member

Who is your carrier?

13. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Wow Pillar you just reminded of something. Like about year ago I passed down a used Nexus 5 to my mother. She has metro and I had Tmobile. The Nexus 5 as you know is an unlocked device rift off the box. So when I attempted to insert her Metro SIM it didn't work. We ended up going to the metro PCS store where they register the Nexus 5'a IMEI and there after her Nexus 5 worked. It must be the same with the OP at this point I'm certain.

14. Random87 thread starter macrumors member

It was like this. They reassigned my SIM to my 6S Plus with the IMEI number and now it works!

15. chestvrg macrumors 65816

So is it working now? Can you post a capture showing the carrier?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446242019.635946.jpg

16. Random87 thread starter macrumors member

Here you go:

Attached Files: