Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Currently using an iPhone 6+ and plan to get a SIM free iPhone 7+. Am I able to buy it outright, pop in my SIM from the 6+ and use it instantaneously, or do I need to let ATT, my carrier, know because of the IMEI and other things associated with a new phone, and will I incur the dreaded $30 upgrade fee when I swap out phones?

Also, to those who are on ATT or anyone, if I go with the next program over a bought outright phone, will that increase my monthly bill by $15? If so I will just buy it outright.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I would check with ATT. The iPhone will work but payments may change. I was told by an Apple Store rep I could not buy a sim free iPhone and have them put it on my current Next program. Buying outright may be different. You could lose the 25.00 line credit. I am thinking about buying one on Apple IUP payment plan with ATT as my carrier. But, I need to ask ATT if I will lose any discounts. I forget why I have the 15.00 line credit.
[doublepost=1482206823][/doublepost]saw this, sounds like we both should keep 25.00 line discounts

Mobile Share Value Savings

• If you have a Mobile Share Value line with a smartphone on an AT&T Next installment plan, or if you bought your phone at full retail price, brought your own phone, or are out of annual contract, you qualify for a monthly Mobile Share Value discount of $25 for that line of service. This discount appears as a credit on your bill.

• If you just upgraded your smartphone to a 2-yr wireless agreement, this confirms you will not receive the Mobile Share Value discount of $25 for the line upgraded.

• In order to keep the credit/discount when upgrading, choose an AT&T Next installment plan, bring your own phone, or pay full retail price for the phone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.