SIM-free iPhone in Japan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Paradoxpm, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Paradoxpm macrumors member

I will be moving to Japan soon. Any idea on how to use my existing unlocked GSM iPhone with Softbank?
    Last time, they told me that they wouldn't sell just the card. I could get a prepaid, but I would be out of their iPhone data plan.
    Any ideas?

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

A company called b-mobile offers a microsim for unlocked iPhone 4s. It includes unlimited data.

Sorry, I don't use them (I'm with Softbank) nor know anyone who does. Their website is in Japanese only. It appears to be a 3150 yen signup fee, 6260 yen per month basic fee for unlimited data. 1050 yen worth of free calls and 21 yen for 30 seconds after.

It apparently doesn't support MMS.

Aside from Softbank's expensive SIM rentals or even more expensive roaming charges I don't know of any other alternatives here.

Here's an article about B-Mobile at Mobile In Japan from last year.

3. yourmother macrumors regular

b-mobile is your best shot if you just need a sim but they limit the speed. You said you moving to Japan. You can just wait till you get your gaijin card and then sign up with softbank.

4. Paradoxpm thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your answers.

I could, but I don't actually need another iPhone. I though I could just use the one I already have. :confused:

Edit: I've just sent a mail to Softbank, waiting for their answer.
    I've heard some rumors about iPhone coming to AU/KDDI or DoCoMo. Nothing official, I guess, right?

5. Paradoxpm thread starter macrumors member

For anyone else looking into this issue, here is Softbank's answer:

弊社では、2011年7月1日より他社(docomo、海外製)SIMフリー端末を
    お持ち込みいただくことで、USIMカード単体での新規ご契約が可能と
    なります。

なお、誠に恐れ入りますが、SIMフリーのiPhone、iPadを持ち込んで
    の、USIMカード単体でのご契約は行う事ができません。

(sorry, no time to translate right now)

also, here is a site you might want to browse (in japanese):

http://sites.google.com/site/iphoneondocomo/

Hope it helps someone.

6. yourmother macrumors regular

As for the other carriers, I've been waiting for docomo since the iPhone first came out in Japan. I'm probably going back to docomo and get a galaxy s2. For AU it's like going from AT&T to Verizon, you'll need to buy a new phone or wait for the next iPhone and see if they will offer it.

The Softbank message just said they cant give u a microsim and start a contract with them. U can wait for your gaijin card get a cheapo Japanese feature phone for one yen (hard to find but still around) and sign a contract with them. Then unlock your iPhone cut your softbank sim card and pop it in your iPhone. If u screw up cutting your sim bring your cheapo phone back to a softbank store with your gaijin card and tell them u dropped your phone and lost your sim card.

7. Paradoxpm thread starter macrumors member

Yup, exactly.

I still don't want to be locked ih a 2-year contract with SoftBank, since I don't know how long I will be in Japan for (1 year〜10 years).

Edit: the frequencies DoCoMo uses are the same ones of SoftBank? No CDMA/GSM difference?

8. yourmother macrumors regular

Docomo and softbank are gsm. I know people who use the iPhone unlocked directly on docomo (not through bmobile) but they can't use their docomo email address, which is absolutely important to me.

AU is CDMA.

Good luck in Japan. Enjoy yourself.

9. Paradoxpm thread starter macrumors member

Guess I'll wait for a non-exclusive iPhone 5.
    Hopes up.

Thank you!