Carrier Sim free iPhone vs full priced Att vs Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetGeek407, Sep 15, 2017.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Last year they had modern differences. Will this be the case this year with the X? I use At&t and also curious if their future LTE tech could be utilized by this phone. Will wifi hotspot and wifi calling work fine?

2. Shadowbech, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

Shadowbech macrumors 601

Yes it's the same as last year, AT&T/T-Mobile will have Intel Modem. Verizon/Sprint/Sim Free will have Qualcomm. Same goes for the iPhone X as well.

3. Dkoc13 macrumors member

I have att and I'm not making the same mistake as last years...I want the Qualcomm phone so Ima getting the unlocked sim

4. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. DblHelix macrumors 6502

Intel doesn’t support CDMA. Some Asian networks as well as Verizon and sprint use CDMA in some places

6. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

If you order the unlocked sim model, it still asks you for your carrier information. Does that mean if you get the unlocked sim model and have AT&T, you'll still get the Intel modem version? I know it'll be unlocked, but do they still go by your carrier when sending you an unlocked sim model (I did the iPhone Upgrade Program).

7. Shadowbech macrumors 601

When you order a sim-free model, it never asks you for your carrier information whatsoever. If you choose to pay outright on a carrier model it still asks you for your carrier info.

8. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I gotcha. It was the iPhone Upgrade Program I was confused about. I was thinking you get the sim-free model when you use that to purchase the phone, but it’s just an unlocked version based on your carrier info.

9. kevinf1990 macrumors member

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread but I have a related question.
    I have ATT. If I wanted to get the iPhone X with the most bands (GSM + CDMA), I can buy the verizon one at full price and use it on ATT? If I pay full price for the phone, it should be unlocked right?

Thanks

10. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

You should be able to. Verizon phone is a factory unlocked phone. Ensure you put your carrier sim in the phone before turning the phone on.

11. Rigby macrumors 601

If it's the same as in previous years, you cannot buy the Verizon version from Apple without having a Verizon account, even if you pay full price.

12. kevinf1990 macrumors member

ok then second question: I don't think I've travelled anywhere where I must use CDMA networks. I always have the option to choose GSM networks during my travel. I don't see any difference between A1865 and A1901 besides the addition of the CDMA/EV-DO bands. The GSM bands appear to be the same. SO I should be ok if I buy the ATT as the sim free version?