SIM-Free iPhone X Now Available From Apple Online Store in the United States

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Starting today, Apple is offering a SIM-free version of the iPhone X from its online store in the United States, allowing customers to buy an unlocked iPhone without choosing a carrier.

SIM-free versions of the iPhone X in all capacities list the same ~one week delivery estimate available for other iPhone X devices. SIM-free iPhone X models ordered today will arrive on December 12.

[​IMG]

SIM-free iPhone X models will work with any carrier and have full support for both CDMA and GSM networks, much like the Sprint and Verizon versions of the new smartphone. iPhone X models from AT&T and T-Mobile do not support CDMA networks and are not compatible with Sprint or Verizon.

Since iPhone X pre-orders kicked off on October 27, Apple has only allowed customers to buy an iPhone X with an AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon SIM, though models purchased in full are listed as unlocked. At launch, Apple was requiring carrier pre-activation to make an iPhone X purchase, but that requirement was lifted in mid-November.

It's been possible to get the equivalent of a SIM-free unlocked iPhone X ordering a Verizon model and paying full price, but now there is an official SIM-free version.

Now that SIM-free iPhone X models are available, Apple is will also soon allow its employees to purchase the iPhone X through the internal employee site at a discount.

Article Link: SIM-Free iPhone X Now Available From Apple Online Store in the United States

2. citysnaps macrumors 68040

3. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

What was the reason for NOT allowing SIM free iphones? Could buy them from day one in Canada.

4. jcshas macrumors 6502

jcshas

Isn't this essentially the same as buying the Verizon iPhone X, without a contract? I did and activated mine on AT&T.

5. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

i hope a lot of people take advantage of the opportunity to own a sim-free iPhone X. It is a truly incredible device that is worthy of the price.

6. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

SIM-free = Qualcomm only

Apple probably had volume commitments to Intel. Most consumers would prefer not to get the crippled Intel version if they had a choice.

7. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

My A1901 Intel will be sold for a dollar next year, at this rate, if I upgrade from X to X2

--

same except will have a SIM tool and no SIM in it already

8. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502a

Greenmeenie

Question. Can you purchase an unlocked iphone X and activate it WITHOUT signing up to a carrier? I travel internationally a lot, and have a travel blog. I want to use the iphone X as my travel camera. I'd like to use wifi only...but then occassionally pop in a sim when i am overseas. It may sound odd, but i don't want to join any carrier service.

Another question...i also have a grandfathered unlimited ATT data plan for my iPad. Can i pop out that sim and put it into an iphone X? Just wondering.

9. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

Why didn’t you just buy an AT&T iPhone earlier? What advantage did you gain?

You weren’t to obligated to use carrier or Apple financing. I paid full price for mine so I don’t see any difference.

10. NMSUballa macrumors regular

Maybe to prevent so many scalpers? That’s normally the version they buy so it doesn’t go towards an upgrade on their account.

11. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

Qualcomm LTE Chips are known to perform better (better reception, faster internet speeds).

12. seanbperiod macrumors member

Is this iPhone the first single model to fully support all carriers? If not, what's the earlier model that has?

Also, after activating with one carrier, is the phone then locked to that carrier until their terms are fulfilled? Or could I hypothetically switch between 4 different carriers within the same year?

13. Shadowbech macrumors 601

About time. I'll be placing an order on this one in couple of days once I get my money back the return I made previously.

14. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

Why would AT&T choose GSM phone for their network instead of the CDMA version?

15. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Yes.

The rest of the world does this. They purchase a SIM-free unlocked phone and use it with whatever carrier and whenever they like. No commitments.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It seems like it to a long time for the Sim free version to be available, but then again, the iPhone X has only been released for a month now.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yep. You can use it with a PayGo or “no contract” carrier.

18. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

Finally! I am about to hop on that! Looks like there plenty in stock too in stores in the Bay

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

A month. That’s what about what it took the 7 to go no SIM at least.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

It’s Apple’s contracts with carriers here. Each commit to a certain volume of sales and in exchange for the first month or so all sales get credited to the carriers’ commitments.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Perhaps the staggered iPhone release through me off this year with the November release. Being it's already December.

22. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

Activating with a carrier does not introduce a lock on a SIM-unlocked phone. You still need to pay for your contract or whatever, but you could use any other SIM with the phone (e.g. if you sell it, or have multiple contracts, or if you travel and buy a local SIM).

23. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Because GSM is better? You can talk and use data at the same time vs. Verizon where you couldn't do that for awhile.

Just because the current gen of CDMA chips are supposedly faster, doesn't mean that the network is superior.

24. KPOM macrumors G5

It’s the same as the Verizon/Sprint version.

If you activated a model with a carrier on an installment plan (other than the Apple Upgrade Program), unless it’s Verizon the phone could be locked to the carrier. If you paid full price from Apple it is not locked, even if you activated it with a carrier.

25. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Retail Apple employees have issues if they buy the X even at a discount with the pay they get.

26. KPOM macrumors G5

The Verizon phone has the Qualcomm modem that supports CDMA in case the user wants to switch to Verizon or Sprint, or sell it next year to someone on one of those networks.