SIM-Free iPhone X Now Available From Apple Online Store in the United States

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting today, Apple is offering a SIM-free version of the iPhone X from its online store in the United States, allowing customers to buy an unlocked iPhone without choosing a carrier.

SIM-free versions of the iPhone X in all capacities list the same ~one week delivery estimate available for other iPhone X devices. SIM-free iPhone X models ordered today will arrive on December 12.

SIM-free iPhone X models will work with any carrier and have full support for both CDMA and GSM networks, much like the Sprint and Verizon versions of the new smartphone. iPhone X models from AT&T and T-Mobile do not support CDMA networks and are not compatible with Sprint or Verizon.

Since iPhone X pre-orders kicked off on October 27, Apple has only allowed customers to buy an iPhone X with an AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon SIM, though models purchased in full are listed as unlocked. At launch, Apple was requiring carrier pre-activation to make an iPhone X purchase, but that requirement was lifted in mid-November.

It's been possible to get the equivalent of a SIM-free unlocked iPhone X ordering a Verizon model and paying full price, but now there is an official SIM-free version.

Now that SIM-free iPhone X models are available, Apple is will also soon allow its employees to purchase the iPhone X through the internal employee site at a discount.

Article Link: SIM-Free iPhone X Now Available From Apple Online Store in the United States

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
What was the reason for NOT allowing SIM free iphones? Could buy them from day one in Canada.

Reactions: Avieshek

Greenmeenie

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Question. Can you purchase an unlocked iphone X and activate it WITHOUT signing up to a carrier? I travel internationally a lot, and have a travel blog. I want to use the iphone X as my travel camera. I'd like to use wifi only...but then occassionally pop in a sim when i am overseas. It may sound odd, but i don't want to join any carrier service.

Another question...i also have a grandfathered unlimited ATT data plan for my iPad. Can i pop out that sim and put it into an iphone X? Just wondering.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Isn't this essentially the same as buying the Verizon iPhone X, without a contract? I did and activated mine on AT&T.
Why didn’t you just buy an AT&T iPhone earlier? What advantage did you gain?

You weren’t to obligated to use carrier or Apple financing. I paid full price for mine so I don’t see any difference.

NMSUballa

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
What was the reason for NOT allowing SIM free iphones? Could buy them from day one in Canada.
Maybe to prevent so many scalpers? That’s normally the version they buy so it doesn’t go towards an upgrade on their account.

Reactions: vsuri

seanbperiod

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Is this iPhone the first single model to fully support all carriers? If not, what's the earlier model that has?

Also, after activating with one carrier, is the phone then locked to that carrier until their terms are fulfilled? Or could I hypothetically switch between 4 different carriers within the same year?

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Question. Can you purchase an unlocked iphone X and activate it WITHOUT signing up to a carrier? I travel internationally a lot, and have a travel blog. I want to use the iphone X as my travel camera. I'd like to use wifi only...but then occassionally pop in a sim when i am overseas. It may sound odd, but i don't want to join any carrier service.

Another question...i also have a grandfathered unlimited ATT data plan for my iPad. Can i pop out that sim and put it into an iphone X? Just wondering.
Yes.

The rest of the world does this. They purchase a SIM-free unlocked phone and use it with whatever carrier and whenever they like. No commitments.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
About time. I'll be placing an order on this one in couple of days once I get my money back the return I made previously.
It seems like it to a long time for the Sim free version to be available, but then again, the iPhone X has only been released for a month now.

Reactions: KONVICTED

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It’s Apple’s contracts with carriers here. Each commit to a certain volume of sales and in exchange for the first month or so all sales get credited to the carriers’ commitments.

Reactions: macfacts

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Is this iPhone the first single model to fully support all carriers? If not, what's the earlier model that has?

Also, after activating with one carrier, is the phone then locked to that carrier until their terms are fulfilled? Or could I hypothetically switch between 4 different carriers within the same year?
Activating with a carrier does not introduce a lock on a SIM-unlocked phone. You still need to pay for your contract or whatever, but you could use any other SIM with the phone (e.g. if you sell it, or have multiple contracts, or if you travel and buy a local SIM).

Reactions: seanbperiod

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

It’s the same as the Verizon/Sprint version.

If you activated a model with a carrier on an installment plan (other than the Apple Upgrade Program), unless it’s Verizon the phone could be locked to the carrier. If you paid full price from Apple it is not locked, even if you activated it with a carrier.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Now that SIM-free iPhone X models are available, Apple is will also soon allow its employees to purchase the iPhone X through the internal employee site at a discount.
Retail Apple employees have issues if they buy the X even at a discount with the pay they get.

Reactions: willnpc

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Why didn’t you just buy an AT&T iPhone earlier? What advantage did you gain?

You weren’t to obligated to use carrier or Apple financing. I paid full price for mine so I don’t see any difference.
The Verizon phone has the Qualcomm modem that supports CDMA in case the user wants to switch to Verizon or Sprint, or sell it next year to someone on one of those networks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.