Sim Free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HunnieBunnie, Sep 15, 2014.

1. HunnieBunnie macrumors member

How soon do you think Apple will offer the iphone 6 sim free?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

November if you like to wait

If you want it later this week then just buy the one that's listed as "T-Mobile Contract Free". It's the same phone but with a T-Mobile sim card that you can throw away if that's not your carrier.

3. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Is it identical to the AT&T version (will it function exactly as an AT&T version would on AT&T's network?)

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes that one is also the same phone. They're identical.

5. HunnieBunnie thread starter macrumors member

I spoke to Apple on the phone about this. They said the T-Mobile phone is built for T-Mobile, and you cannot simply throw away the sim card and take the phone to your carrier of choice. Just repeating what Apple told me.

6. mojito macrumors member

Am I missing something here? Does "SIM Free" basically mean unlocked? Or is Apple/cell carriers somehow making a phone that doesn't require a SIM card? This might be a noob question but I guess this one's passed me by somehow.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah that's the same thing the reps said last year. As they're likely instructed to by management. The same way Verizon reps claim the Verizon iPhones aren't unlocked. Apple markets it as "T-Mobile" in order to discourage resellers from buying it up and help the carriers get maximum sales around launch time. They actually used to have it listed as "unlocked T-Mobile" on their site until the resellers started snatching them all up.

I bought the 5S last year and it was fully unlocked. I'm 100% sure it's the same case with the 6 and 6+. Who would pay full price for a locked phone? If it were locked then T-Mobile customers would just buy it from T-Mobile where they can use financing.

8. HunnieBunnie thread starter macrumors member

Well, that makes sense. I did an on-line chat with someone from T-Mobile, and that person claimed that the phone was locked to T-Mobile, which did not make sense to me if it is "contract free."

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

Oh yeah and Apple's return policy is excellent. If it does somehow happen to be locked then you can just return it and get all of your money back. No restocking fees or anything.

10. HunnieBunnie thread starter macrumors member

Well, that certainly helps.

11. duaneu macrumors 6502a

It is locked if you buy it from T-Mobile. You have to buy it from Apple if you want it to come unlocked.

12. HunnieBunnie thread starter macrumors member

I heard the Apple stores in Canada and the UK are selling the 6 without sim card. Can U.S. buyers purchase on-line from a Canadian store?