Sim help please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sunshinecourt9, Sep 22, 2015.

1. sunshinecourt9 macrumors member

sunshinecourt9

i am selling my husband's cracked iPhone 6 Plus to Gazelle. I am waiting for my 6s plus to hand down my 6 plus to him. I was just reading the Gazelle send in info and it said to remove SIM card. I have never done this before. I never remove my SIM and put in new iPhones. Should I be doing this? Do I remove my SIM from my 6 plus and put in 6s plus? I'm confused now...o_O

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you don't have an Apple "SIM removal tool" a straightened paper clip works fine. Just insert into the hole and push in. The SIM tray will pop out and you can pull out the SIM.

4. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

^ This. Other than turning off "Find My iPhone" for your husband's account, you should be good to go from here.

5. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

This is my recommendation, but it could depend on your carrier and how you purchased the new iPhone. I'm on AT&T, and this is how I'd go about it:

1) When your new 6s Plus arrives, activate it with the included sim (assuming your purchased it on your number and line). If you backed up your old phone to iTunes or iCloud, you can do a restore on your new phone at the time of activation.

2) Make sure you turn OFF iCloud on your old phone (which will disable Find My iPhone) and also turn off iMessage. Remove the sim card (which can just be disposed of since it's inactive now) and then do a factory reset, which will erase everything. CAUTION: Make sure your new phone is all restored and in working order before you do this.

3) Next, backup your husband's phone with iTunes or iCloud, and then swap the sim from his cracked phone and put it in your old phone that has been erased. At this time, it will activate with his number and you can restore his old backup. Once his new phone is activated and restored, you can go back to his cracked phone to log out of iCloud, turn off Find My iPhone, and do a factory reset on it. Once it has been factory reset, then it's good to go to Gazelle.

Hope I didn't miss anything. You *could* probably just take the sim from your old phone and put it in the new one, but in my experience, it's better to activate with the included sim they send you.

Good luck!

6. sunshinecourt9 thread starter macrumors member

sunshinecourt9

Thanks everyone! I am on AT&T. I have never removed a SIM...I think I tried years ago to remove one and never got it open, so I was a little concerned! I will just turn off iCloud, find my iPhone, and delete. I am more comfortable knowing everything is wiped!

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Erase your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201274