Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Hey guys, I got a new Blackberry Classic from my job, to try, I took my ATT sim out og my iphone 6 called ATT gave them the new IMEI # off the blackberry all was fine, except no LTE on the blackberry only 4G.. When I got home I calledATT to put the Sim back in the iphone 6 gave them the Iphone 6 Imei ( where the card came out of originally ) and same thing now on the Iphone 6 NO LTE .. Just 4G .. Called ATT several times and they say phone is bad, I said are you kidding me? I popped my wifes sim in my phone and LTE is FINE! Now they are saying maybe the SIM CARD is BAD? How does a sim card go bad in 6 hours? When it worked fine in the iphone from day one! They checked the Imei on the iphone and their end, all is good, I did a Network Reset, I put it in Airplane mode NO LTE .. I just dont understand how a SIM CARD can go bad after putting it in another phone .. Any thoughts would be great..

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Sim Issue No More LTE ??? ATT

Well, 4G is LTE, some operators call this 4G some LTE. This is the same. So if you get 4G then you've got LTE. In my country Orange has 4G displayed and T-Mobile has LTE. No difference except the name :)

BTW, why do you have to call your operator and tell them the IMEI? Unless the phone has no SIMLOCK the IMEI is irrelevant, at least here in Poland. I can take any unlocked phone and use my SIM in it. No issues.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Well, 4G is LTE, some operators call this 4G some LTE. This is the same. So if you get 4G then you've got LTE. In my country Orange has 4G displayed and T-Mobile has LTE. No difference except the name :)

BTW, why do you have to call your operator and tell them the IMEI? Unless the phone has no SIMLOCK the IMEI is irrelevant, at least here in Poland. I can take any unlocked phone and use my SIM in it. No issues.

You are def not correct, my phone is on 4G and My wifes on LTE and her speed is triple the speed! I had to call ATT to tell them about the black berry IMEI cause apple data is different accroding to them then other data plans.. Once they put the Blackberry imei on my account ALL devices lost LTE service, ( Blackberry, Iphone 6 and and old 5S )

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I had this issue. I was told that the iPhone 6 has a SIM designed for HD voice compatibility, and when you put it into a phone with no HD voice compatibility and put it back into your iPhone 6 it disables LTE. Only solution is to get a new SIM. Funny part is the new sim they gave me doesn't have this issue.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
I think u are right the only fix was a new sim , who knows why it disables lLTE and once it's disabled there is no turning back with the orig sim !!!!

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Sim Issue No More LTE ??? ATT

You are def not correct, my phone is on 4G and My wifes on LTE and her speed is triple the speed! I had to call ATT to tell them about the black berry IMEI cause apple data is different accroding to them then other data plans.. Once they put the Blackberry imei on my account ALL devices lost LTE service, ( Blackberry, Iphone 6 and and old 5S )

Unfortunately 4G is LTE, your provider is calling his network working with HSPA+ speeds as 4G, while it's really still 3G.
Or maybe my provider is calling its LTE network as 4G but speed is right from where I'm standing :)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Unfortunately 4G is LTE, your provider is calling his network working with HSPA+ speeds as 4G, while it's really still 3G.
True, but in the US, that's picking nits.

3G (EVDO) speeds on the two largest CDMA carriers are a FRACTION of the speed that HSPA+ on the GSM networks deliver.

So while HSPA+ is technically 3G (not 4G), the US GSM-based carriers market it at 4G (in commercials, as well as on the signal display of their phones), so that's how most US consumers refer to it.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
True, but in the US, that's picking nits.

3G (EVDO) speeds on the two largest CDMA carriers are a FRACTION of the speed that HSPA+ on the GSM networks deliver.

So while HSPA+ is technically 3G (not 4G), the US GSM-based carriers market it at 4G (in commercials, as well as on the signal display of their phones), so that's how most US consumers refer to it.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Chances are just getting a new SIM should fix the issue. You should have never called ATT and gave them the BB IMEI. That probably caused a problem as the system may have not recognized the phone as LTE capable. Happens every time a customer of mine comes in to activate their new device that requires a SIM change and is going from HSPA+ to LTE. If we just update the SIM in the system and not update the IMEI as well the new phone never picks up LTE.

I'd say go down to your closest COR store and get a new SIM and make sure the iPhone IMEI is linked on the account.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Chances are just getting a new SIM should fix the issue. You should have never called ATT and gave them the BB IMEI.

It wouldn't have made a difference. I put my SIM into a Windows Phone, never told ATT about it, but it was automatically detected anyway. When I put my SIM back into my iPhone 6 and called ATT to ask them why I don't have LTE service anymore they said that their system showed a Windows Phone under my phone number now. I had to give them my iPhone's IMEI for them to change it back.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Chances are just getting a new SIM should fix the issue. You should have never called ATT and gave them the BB IMEI. That probably caused a problem as the system may have not recognized the phone as LTE capable. Happens every time a customer of mine comes in to activate their new device that requires a SIM change and is going from HSPA+ to LTE. If we just update the SIM in the system and not update the IMEI as well the new phone never picks up LTE.

I'd say go down to your closest COR store and get a new SIM and make sure the iPhone IMEI is linked on the account.

I didnt want to call the carrier, I popped the sim in the blackberry voice worked fine, had NO Data! Said VOICE ONLY.. Nothing else but the voice calls worked.. According to ATT the phone thoght it was an Iphone so it showed LTE on screen but data and Visual voice mail didnt work! They told me some crap that apple data is different than other phone manf data so it has to be swithced on their end! They def caused the issue, new sim card in now and LTE is up .. I agree shouldnt have to call ATT for anything being its a GSM phone and plan! I read somewhere its was the HD calling on Iphone that did the sim in once I put it in the blackberry and called them !

----------

It wouldn't have made a difference. I put my SIM into a Windows Phone, never told ATT about it, but it was automatically detected anyway. When I put my SIM back into my iPhone 6 and called ATT to ask them why I don't have LTE service anymore they said that their system showed a Windows Phone under my phone number now. I had to give them my iPhone's IMEI for them to change it back.

Thast the way its supposed to work! LOL.. Did you get LTE on the Windows phone after the sim swap? If so thats why you didnt need to get a new sim. Once ATT change the imei to the blackberry I was doomed! Never got LTE on blackberry nor when I put it back in the Iphone 6 and Iphone 5s

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I didnt want to call the carrier, I popped the sim in the blackberry voice worked fine, had NO Data! Said VOICE ONLY.. Nothing else but the voice calls worked.. According to ATT the phone thoght it was an Iphone so it showed LTE on screen but data and Visual voice mail didnt work! They told me some crap that apple data is different than other phone manf data so it has to be swithced on their end! They def caused the issue, new sim card in now and LTE is up .. I agree shouldnt have to call ATT for anything being its a GSM phone and plan! I read somewhere its was the HD calling on Iphone that did the sim in once I put it in the blackberry and called them !

----------

Thast the way its supposed to work! LOL.. Did you get LTE on the Windows phone after the sim swap? If so thats why you didnt need to get a new sim. Once ATT change the imei to the blackberry I was doomed! Never got LTE on blackberry nor when I put it back in the Iphone 6 and Iphone 5s

Went through the same thing with iPhone 6, no LTE after swapping from an Android phone. Tech support , after an hour trouble shooting, said get another SIM. Store salesman laughed and said that was the dumbest thing he ever heard. After calmly:) insisting getting a new SIM, it fixed the problem. Swapping between a Windows and iPhone data works for me but tethering does not until I call in and have the IMEI changed.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I had my LTE die on my HTC One M8 (Verizon) after using an AT&T SIM card in it to test their network. Funny thing is, LTE worked on AT&T's network just fine when it was using a compatible band in town. But when the test drive was over I put my Verizon SIM back in, and no LTE.

I made sure it was set to use LTE/Global same as it always has, and nothing. So I put the AT&T SIM back in and it couldn't pick up LTE either, where it was an hour before. Back to the VZW SIM and I did a full RUU on the phone to reset it completely. Still no LTE. 3G worked fine sure, but LTE was just dead.

I then got a new SIM card from a VZW store, and even it didn't work. Popped it in an iPhone 5 and LTE lit right up. Just not on my M8. I had to return it and get a replacement which I sold for a Moto X. Haven't had an issue since, and I get better reception (Moto X has a great antenna FWIW).

Still looking out for the M9 or 6s+ or whatever they decide to call it. But an odd story for sure. I'm still not sure if it was software or hardware. Perhaps the LTE radio straight up died? Haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.