Sim/Micro-Sim Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by awm037, Apr 9, 2011.

1. awm037 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm visiting England in a few months and was planning on getting a data sim to use in my unlocked iPhone 4. I was looking at Three's network because they are the only ones that sell pre-loaded sim cards. I've seen that they sell pre-loaded mini-sims with 3GB and that looks to be a safe bet (after cutting it down). However, I saw that they also sell pre-loaded micro-sims for the iPad. These do not seem to be like the ones you have to put in an iPad to activate because they are more expensive and come pre-loaded. My question is, even though they say "for iPad", would I be able to get one to work in an iPhone (maybe by changing APN settings)? Thanks.

2. biohead macrumors 6502

You can likely go to a Three store when in the UK and pick up a Micro Sim. If you have a relation or contact in the UK, you can get one sent to you for free (Official Three Link) then just pop it in the phone on they should guide you to their online top up using credit/debit card. £10 should buy you either a 1Gb or 3Gb allowance (can't remember which).

Of course, you need an unlocked iPhone to be able to use a three sim.

3. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    three network is awful tho.. cheap but sucks!

O2 will alsi let you buy an o2 sim on pre-paid: pay as you go and then you can ask for a micro-sim - as the person above stated, if you have a contact/friend/relative ask them to take a free o2 sim for you then request a micro-sim for free - go to o2.co.uk for further details

The ipad micro sims will not work on the iphone 4 btw

4. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I don't see why 3 are awful I would avoid O2 though. Terrible coverage. But you could get one of the £10 monthly rolling contracts on three. You can ask for this to be a microsim

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    as the OP stated they will only use the sim for 8 days 3 would probably do!

lol u're reply reminds me of my constant disagreement i have with my dad - every time i go home - he has been with 3 since they launched!

i have had nothing but poor service and a string of failings with 3!

i currently live in central london - and still only manage 3 bars with thre, o2, and orange give me full signal. Three first blamed the fact i lived in a tall building (feasible) and then said it was probably wind direction - i mean wtf! i'd rather have their techies say they did not know the answer rather than blatantly lying.

o2 on the other hand have been amazing, i also have an o2 fixed line and get a hefty discount on my landline and broadband

6. awm037 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't see any micro-sims on the 3 website, but I'm guessing the same rates apply either way.

I am a bit confused with the rate plans stated.
    On this page, it shows 500mb for £10 and unlimited for £15. Can I still get the data only plans for 1GB/3GB. I saw them on another page, but they were for pay monthly customers only. On that document I also saw 1GB +Voice+Messages, but nothing solely data.

Even though these are add-ons, can I get them without having a pay-as-you-go bundle?

Also, I used O2 on an iPad last time I visited and I got nearly perfect 3G everywhere except for the deathly slow GRPS while going through some parts of Hampshire. I was going to use 3, but O2 looked the easiest for international customers.