SIM Not Valid

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bluechair1984, Sep 18, 2013.

1. bluechair1984 macrumors regular

So after upgrading to the iOS 7 GM this afternoon, I tried to activate the phone.

Just like everyone else, I was having troubles.

But I think mine are a little different.

I eventually, got a message that has me a little baffled.

It says "SIM Not Valid - the SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

From the message I figured, maybe my SIM card went bad or something. I swapped the SIM out with my wife's phone, and hers gave the same message, but my SIM also works in her phone.

So, I take my phone to Apple, and they seem confused about this message. They immediately swap my phone thinking it is a hardware issue. The new phone came with 6.1.4 and activated right away. So I go home. At home I figure, well since it activated with the other version. Lets give this a shot again. As soon as I update to iOS 7 it gives me the same error.

I have no idea what to do at this point. I'm going to go into AT&T tomorrow, but I'm thinking that might be a waste of time.

Has anyone had this same issue? I guess I could raise enough hell tomorrow at AT&T to get this resolved but I was wondering if someone had a solution.

I've done DFU restores to 6.1.4 and to 7 with no change.

Help!

Thanks.

2. rwardle macrumors newbie

I hope someone has an answer for you.

I also updated to iOS 7 this evening, and after 20 minutes I got an "Invalid Sim" message - it didn't say all the stuff yours said, though.

I keep getting it about once an hour, as I text people and/or make calls. I called Apple, and they had me reset my network twice, and I continue to get the message. They advised me to go to Sprint and get a new sim card. I hope it works - but threads on other forums have said this isn't a solution. I'm pretty upset; I've only had this phone for a month. Plus, I hate this new update. Grrr >.<

3. bluechair1984 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just going to go to AT&T and tell them they need to fix this. New SIM, Unlock, whatever.

It's obviously not the hardware, it is most likely a setting somewhere on AT&Ts side.

Or I've read somewhere that maybe the phone is locked to a different carrier, but I don't know/care how that would happen.

4. kellte2 macrumors regular

I'm getting the same error "invalid sim" post update on Sprint. This previously happened to me right after launch and the only solution was a new sim. I hope that isn't the case again.

5. iqwertyi macrumors regular

I'm getting an "Invalid Sim" error as well after updating to iOS 7.
    Iphone 5 on Sprint, did the update via over the air.

I did disappear when I reboot the phone, but it's back again.

Looking for answers, thanks.

6. ParagJain macrumors 6502

It's happening to me as well. Any suggestions would help.

7. schataut macrumors member

I have the same issue on iPhone 4s after IOS 7 upgrade. I have tried them all:

1. Got a new SIM
    2. Reset network settings
    3. Restore the phone using iTunes

Nothing helped. Based on my experience I see the issue while using GPS and if I am trying to access the network (while on ATT network). I opened a case with Apple but it was a BIG waste of time. I also talked to the supervisor and he goes I don't hear people complaining about it so it is not IOS 7 and my phone is the one with issues. And since my phone is out of warranty there is not much they can do. :mad::mad: I hope enough people face the issue so they look into it and fix it. Just because 100% of people are not experiencing does not mean its not a legit issue. :mad::confused::(

8. ian37 macrumors newbie

hi bluechair
    im having same trouble with phone was wondering if you could help me im getting exact same message on mine carrier not supported after i upgraded to ios7 how did you find a fix for this or anybody else out there im totally stuck thanks