SIM & Roaming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Nov 9, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

anybody know if AT&T's charges reduced dramatically for overseas roaming with companies that provide the iPhone?

And when exchanging the SIM abroad so it's not roaming do all your contacts and user info disappear?

2. WstCstCmtr macrumors member

I have been traveling quite a bit internationally with my 3G.

Here's what I've learned:

-Text are free to receive; 50cents to send
    -If you're abroad and your phone rings... that's one minute of int'l roaming, even if it's unaswered.
    I suggest keeping it in airplane mode, turning it off for a couple minutes to get text.

I highly recommend Truphone or Fring. From my experience there is one thing you can do on the 3G that you can't on the original, that is turn the wifi on while remaining in airplane mode.

Part 2: You can't just switch sim cards unless your phone is jailbroken.

3. moka macrumors 6502a

that's not true, i can still do the same with the first generation iphone.

4. Jeremy W macrumors regular

Jailbreak has nothing to do with switching SIM cards. The phone needs to be unlocked to switch SIM cards.

5. WstCstCmtr macrumors member

Ok sorry, my friend has the 1gen and if it was in airplane mode and you turned the wifi on it would turn the cellular on? I don't know weird.

Ok... I haven't even looked into "jailbreaking" my phone so maybe I'm wrong, I was using the term "unlocked" and "jailbroken" interchangeably.

6. Jeremy W macrumors regular

They're definitely not interchangeable, because they refer to two very different things. Jailbreaking means allowing the phone to run third party software that hasn't been authorized by Apple, while unlocking means allowing the phone to connect to a different carrier than it was sold for.