Sim Swap 3G to 3GS. Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by madog, Jun 9, 2009.

1. madog macrumors 65816

madog

In my mind, this would work perfectly. Also in my mind, unicorns can fly, and I take baths with $100 bills; so I might be a little off base here.

Here's the idea:

A family member's contract is over, and qualifies to upgrade their phone.

I have a 3G, and don't qualify until next year.

I pay that person to buy a 3GS (or rather, the difference in price between the 3G and the GS, so $100)

I give them my 3G, take their GS, and just swap out the sim cards (the person doesn't care about the iPhone, the 3G is a huge upgrade for them).

Sound reasonable? I believe the voice/data plan is the same exact price between the two (depending on voice plan, of which we currently have the same), so this doesn't sound too bad. Any thoughts?

•Crazy bonus idea:

Same scenario above, except I give my 3G to my wife (she has 1G), and family member gets the 1G. Would it be possible for the family member who purchased the GS, to downgrade their service to that of the 1G which had the cheaper data plan w/the added text plan? (Maybe someone did something similar when the 3G came out...?)

We're not sure if my wife qualifies for an upgrade yet which would make this a little easier, however, taking her GS and giving her my 3G, while being an upgrade for her, might make a bad husband? She's a tough gal........ hmmmmm. Decisions, decisions...

2. bjquach macrumors 6502

Just swap the sim cards. Nothing will change.