Sim Swap Alternatives?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ciordia9, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Ciordia9 macrumors member

Ciordia9

My wife and I buy our iPhones on alternating years so we can assure upgradability. She doesn't needed the latest and never minds the hand-me-downs.

The iPhone 5 release with the new nano-sim has us confused. It's her turn to pick up the phone, if she gets it we can no longer just do a sim card swap due to the nano vs micro.

What do we do?

2. OSMac macrumors 65816

Assuming a adaptor comes out soon...

Update your current sims to nano format then use an adaptor so the nano works in phones needing micro or full size cards.

3. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Considering no other phones have nano sim, you wont be able to sim swap anymore.

Consider this: if you use a family plan, add an additional line. Upgrade under the additional line. Next year, your original line will be available to upgrade. The year after that, your additional line, etc. I've done that the last couple of years. As AT&T has modified plans over last couple of years, I have been using less minutes off of plan, (M2M, Free long distance, etc) I have been able to decrease my plan, which makes it cheaper and more justifiable to carry additional lines only to use as upgrade 'insurance'.

4. jeffm5690 macrumors regular

At&t

I was told by AT&T today that when I get the new phone in my wife's name (it is her turn to upgrade) to just activate through itunes and I will be asked if I wish to activate it on her # or another. The supervisor told me to choose my current number and it will allow a cross upgrade.

5. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Sure you can. Adapters for a nano-sim to convert to micro and regular sim should be out shortly.

6. brian017 macrumors regular

7. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Probably but those came out before they had any real nano-sim cards to test with so it might be worth waiting a little while unless you need it right now.

8. Ciordia9 thread starter macrumors member

Ciordia9

That's a great start. So how does your wife then get your old phone?