SIM swap from 5 to 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retired Cat, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

If I take the nano-SIM from my iPhone 5 (bought around May 2013) and put it in an iPhone 6S, will all the features like VoLTE in the 6S work?

I know that SIM technology changes from time to time. I think it should be ok (haven't heard of any changes) but with a 3 generations old phone I wanted to check to see if others have done this.

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

Yes

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

You might have to turn the iPhone off and on without a SIM card and insert the sim a couple times but it should work.

4. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I don't know what this means exactly but AT&T's support page says for VoLTE you need a compatible phone and a SIM card that is UICC-G or higher.

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

yeah you should be fine. i assume the worst thing AT&T will do is make you cough up an activation fee.
    they should replace your sim card at the store for free if you need a newer sim card.

6. SAMtheGAM macrumors regular

SAMtheGAM

if on Verizon no updated sim needed your account will need the Advanced Calling SOC code
    If on AT&T you will need a newer sim to support VOLTE and the SOC codes for HD Voice placed on your account
    If on T-Mobile you also won't need an updated sim

7. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm probably going to get a SIM-free 6s in the near future.