Sim Switching Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cscottrun, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

Hi guys. I purchased the 6 via upgrade through the apple app for delivery today using a family member's number. When it arrives today, if I remove the sim that comes with it, and put in mine from my iPhone 5 BEFORE I even turn the phone on, will it still kill my family members line? Or will it just be as if I upgraded my line?

2. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Wise87 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same situation. Most people will say to stop by your provider store and they will take care of it. My carrier provider is just down the street.

4. jayes macrumors regular

Me too. Same situation. I don't mind stopping at VZN But it might be a little busy.
    After you put in the SIM from the 5, and turn it on, what exactly happens next? Is it all automatic and you're good to go?

5. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

someone let me know how it goes, I plan to do the same

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yes, remove the SIM that came with it and insert your SIM.

There are detailed instructions in the package n that explains how to do this exact same thing.

7. pboy207 macrumors member

If it's through Verizon, your family member might have a pending order on their account. With a pending order, they won't be able to make any changes on their account. Not sure how it is with other carriers.

8. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

AT&T, thanks though.

9. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I was wondering about this exact scenario. We have 3 phones on our family plan/account. We bought 3 new iPhone 6 +'s, although one of the lines will not be using it. But under her line, it does say "you have a device waiting to be activated."

So my question is, what happens if we never activate that phone under her device? It will get activated under one of our other devices (we bought a silver and a space gray to choose the color, thinking it would be easy enough to return the other one OR sell it)

Once someone else activates it under another number, will that message fall off of her line?

I went to my local Verizon store yesterday to ask, and they are certainly clueless. The rep told me if the phone were given to someone else (a family member, or selling it to someone) that THE LINE WOULD GO as well. Yeah, um, ok.

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Call AT&T and tell them you want to do an upgrade swap. If not it's going to kill that number that you upgraded under.

11. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

I mean, even if it does kill the number...If I have both phones in front of me, I can just take the new sim and put it in my family members 5, and take my sim and put it in the 6, correct?

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Is the phone that you're receiving coming already activated on your family member's line?

I'm getting a 6 as an upgrade to my mother's line, and it will come with a brand new SIM which will be activated by me online. However, my intention is to put my SIM from my 5s in the 6, and put the brand new SIM in my 5s and activate it on my mother's line. I've been led to believe that this should work. I hadn't heard that it could kill a line.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Cant you just activate the phone with her number, finish and then swap sims?

14. Tom359 macrumors regular

Sim Swap

Yes, I've done this every two years since the original iPhone. My wife and I are on opposite year upgrade schedules. This year it is her, so she will get my 5s hand me down, and I'm getting the 6. I will activate the 6, which is her number for the upgrade, then swap that sim with my 5s. Easy Peasy. This way I'm upgrade eligible every year!

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Sim Switching Question

Can I just put my sim in and activate it so I don't kill the phone my wife is currently using while she's out with my kids?