SIM Tray Cracking (PIC)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ozman712, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Ozman712 macrumors member

So over the weekend I noticed that the plastic on the top of the SIM card tray was developing a crack. It isn't cracked all the way through. It just seems to be the very top layer. Has anyone else run into this? This phone was purchased on Aug 1 08.

BTW, mine is also cracked in between the silent switch and the chrome ring.

Attached Files:

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Is it craked anywhere else, or has it been dropped several times?

If it hasn't, I would take it to Apple and ask for a replacement.

3. Ozman712 thread starter macrumors member

Alex,

Yeah As I said in the first post it is cracked between the silent switch and the chrome ring. It has never been dropped seriously. I might contact Apple and see if they'll give me a new tray. I don't really care about the other crack, but this one is really obvious.

Oz

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

They will probably just give you a whole new phone. Just call and setup a genius appointment.

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

looks like a clearcoat failure on automotive paint

6. bradenwh macrumors 6502

My iPhone's SIM tray has the exact same issue. Looks like the clear coat is wearing off. Looks nasty. :(

7. Ozman712 thread starter macrumors member

Do you guys think this is an issue that AT&T can take care of or would Apple have to? I don't live close to an Apple Store. I might try and run up to AT&T and see what they say.

Oz

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

AT&T will have nothing to do with this.

You could search for a sim tray on ebay.

9. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I remember wondering if this would be an issue when I opened my iPhone 3g...

10. 4ndr3w macrumors regular

Apple will replace the whole phone. The Genius Bar does not just replace parts, even if it just a SIM tray. If you don't like by an Apple retail store, you can go to apple.com/support and AppleCare will mail you out a box to ship it in. AT&T can't do anything on this.

This is a known defect, they should replace it with no questions asked if there isn't anything else wrong with the phone. They probably will replace it even if there is other (user caused) damage to the phone.

Sucks to be without a phone, I know. I'm within 40 minutes of two Apple Stores, within an hour of five. Ah, Chicago.

11. macdim macrumors 6502