Carrier Sim Unlock for Preorder

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by downingp, Sep 7, 2016.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

Just a quick question, has Apple offered a sim unlocked iPhone for preorder in years past and, if so, do you think they will offer it again for the iPhone7?

Thanks.

2. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Last year, they didn't until a month or two after release, if memory serves me correctly. However, if you bought using the iPhone Upgrade Program, the phone unlocked as soon as it was activated.

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am part of the Note 7 recall and am wanting to come back to iPhone. Just wondering the best way to return the Note 7 and be able to preorder the iPhone 7 (likely on Friday) without being phone less until the iPhone 7 is shipped. :)

4. aplnub macrumors regular

I have an unlocked (purchased outright 6s+) and would like to be able to preorder an unlocked 7. I hope they give the option. The alternative is to show up at a carrier and purchase the phone outright from a GSM carrier like I did last year. That seemed to work fine for me but I had to drive 35 minutes to the nearest store.

5. menist macrumors regular

menist

I'm on the same boat. I returned my Note 7 for a full refund and am currently using a backup phone. What carrier is your Note 7 for? You should have until Sep 30 to return the phone.

As for unlock, T-Mobile version paid in full are unlocked from apple, it should say something like "unlocked with t-mobile sim".

6. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am on Verizon and can definitely return the Note 7 up until Sept 30. I just don't have a backup phone because I sold my iPhone 6s Plus :)

7. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I am understanding the Apple website, after the keynote, it appears that I will be able to pay for an Apple iPhone 7 in full at the time of preorder.
    Am I reading this correctly?

8. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

It looks like it now, no one will know for sure until tomorrow night.