Simcity 4 Rush Hour

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Nyy8, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

In excitement for the new SimCity, I dusted off my old copy of Rush hour, and installed it on to my new mac. Of course, it was a PowerPC game so I got a patch online to make it intel. Let me just say it is unplayable! Crashes every 15 mins, really not perfected at all.

Now, If I were to get a G5, or G4. Would I be able to play it "natively" per say? Like with no crashes?

It would also be a great learning experience since it would be my first ever PowerPC Mac.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's designed for the PowerPC so it should run well. I have it and tried to get it to run on my Intel Mac and likewise, it wouldn't and wouldn't play well at all.

I just acquired a G5 and am in the process of rebuilding it and I do plan on run SimCity 4 on it once complete.

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

What patch? Is this something made by the devs of the game?

4. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Yes it was a beta patch that got leaked, never finished since the devs contact with EA expired.

http://splurgebook.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/playing-simcity-4-on-osx-lion/

Have a read :D

and Thank you SandboxGeneral, tell me how it runs :D I hope it runs without crashes being a powerPC game.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah they made a patch to get it to work on Intel-based Mac's. I tried using it years ago but it didn't work at all, and I think they admitted it wasn't finished. I think it was and still is a beta release that has never been completed.

I certainly will! I'm hoping it plays well, as I expect it to, so that I won't waste my time & money on the new one with all of EA's crazy rules and restrictions.

6. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I was also excited about sim city, then realized you eed an origin account to play. Not gonna happen. When some enterprising individual makes it do I can pay it offline, then I'll get it.

As for sc4, it'll run just fine on a power pc machine.

7. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I've had a origin account since it was just a EA Account. I think I got because you needed It to play madden online.

But I sure hope it runs well, I'm expecting it too also. I might able to knock out two birds with one stone. I need a cheap laptop I can take to school, and I refuse to use windows now.

Would a PowerBook g4 (one of the later ones) like the 1.5GHz or 1.67 GHz be able to play Simcity? It's only $100 now on eBay, and they are wonderfully made.