Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
Granted we don't like this, but the way you make your statement here it sounds like you feel they owe us something by delivering a product on a schedule.

I don't argue with anyone that EA here is a big problem, but at the end of the day, they're going to do what they're going to do and don't owe us anything.

They don't owe me anything, but as a consumer they have not met my expectations that they themselves set, twice now (in terms of delivery). I'm saying that I personally and ready to move on now.

I'm glad they are ready to get it right but to say they have mishandled this game's launch on all platforms would be an understatement.

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
Is this the game which the publisher claimed could not run offline until hackers exposed that as a lie by releasing an offline hack? Yeah I think it was.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Bravo EA! Announced support for product *cough* Wii U *cough* at day one. Now, you tell 3-4 million users to go out and buy PS or XB for Madden and all the other non-esstenial junk you make.

Now, SimCity delayed for Mac? Starting to feel a bit familiar to me.

This is a classic example, game companies think computer and console owners have money to burn, so they force you to buy another console that you may not want if you want to play them.

SimCity is the only EA game I will ever buy at this point. Used to be a Madden fan, but since the Wii U isn't getting the new one I'm skipping it. Even though I have an Xbox 360 too, I'm not paying $60 just to support their decision to not develop on my hardware of choice. We all know how awesome the PS4 and XBOne look, right? Not even out for purchase and already out of date too :D

----------

Is this the game which the publisher claimed could not run offline until hackers exposed that as a lie by releasing an offline hack? Yeah I think it was.

Yes. It's the same publisher who said the CryTek engine wouldn't work on the Wii U, but the developer said it ran just as well as the PC version.

EA is turning into a shady company.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I understand that people hate EA, and I understand why. What I don't get is why this delay is being blamed on them? They are just the publisher. Isn't Maxis still the dev team responsible for shipping their products on time?

It seems like everyone is just looking for another excuse to hate on EA.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
They lost me by making it internet only...

I'm an intense SimCity fan and was so looking forwards to this game. But when they decided to make it internet play only (and I seriously believe this was EA, not Maxis), they completely lost me as a customer. Even if it worked smoothly, you can't convince me that SimCity 2013 server will keep running in perpetuity...

Which is a shame, because it looks like it might be a nice game. But I don't pay $60 for a game to rent it until someone decides to stop.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I understand that people hate EA, and I understand why. What I don't get is why this delay is being blamed on them? They are just the publisher. Isn't Maxis still the dev team responsible for shipping their products on time?

Think your last sentence sums it up!

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
In a way EA has done me a favor. Had this been available on day 1 alongside the PC version, I would have been champing at the bit and thrown my cash down without a second thought.

Now I've had a chance to read about things like the transportation glitches, deficiencies and lazy shortcuts (planning transportation is one of my favorite parts of these games), as well as other things like weird Sims AI and troublesome city-to-city connections. My impulse buying urge has been tempered and my enthusiasm curbed.

Maybe I'll look at this again in a few years when it's in the bargain bin. (Will it ever be in a "bargain bin" with this digital distribution model?)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
There's still the matter of minuscule city sizes, a broken simulation model, bizarre AI, and no singleplayer or terraforming.
:rolleyes: This thing has become such a joke. Would be better to research and purchase a 1993 computer to play SimCity 2000.

----------

Maybe I'll look at this again in a few years when it's in the bargain bin. (Will it ever be in a "bargain bin" with this digital distribution model?)
Sure, just look at prices for older games on Steam.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

People using any possible reason to bash EA?

Yeah, sounds about right.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
But presumably the mac version is going to be the same as the PC version and therefore not really worth getting?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
But presumably the mac version is going to be the same as the PC version and therefore not really worth getting?

It's to be exactly the same as the PC version. You can start a city on a PC then switch to a Mac and pick up where you left off. The game is all server-based this time around.

Sep 21, 2011
It's to be exactly the same as the PC version. You can start a city on a PC then switch to a Mac and pick up where you left off. The game is all server-based this time around.
Origin gives you the Mac version free when you own the PC version, and vice versa.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011

They shouldn't blame them for delaying, but they should hate them anyway..for any reason. EA is the one that bought up companies and control them that would benefit them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.