SimCity on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Melsir, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Melsir macrumors newbie

Melsir

I know it's coming in a few months on Mac but the game looks so fun!

Anyone have SimCity running on iMac using Parallels or Bootcamp?
    If so, what are the iMac or Mini spec you have, graphic settings and approximate framerate you get.

Thanks!

2. jp02 macrumors newbie

I want this game, but have to wait for Mac version...

3. Braddrum macrumors regular

Braddrum

There's a whole thread on this in the games section my friend.

4. Snaleks macrumors newbie

What will it come on? Steam/app store? A more exact date than a couple of months? U talking about the newest simcity (from 2013)?

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

It will be available through EA Origin. I am pretty excted for this to come out.

6. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

It will also be on http://www.macgamestore.com/.

7. Serban Suspended

So when it comes out? And can be played on a high end 21.5" imac max out?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The game's okay… not very impressed.

What I really despise is the whole online only aspect of the game. Means I can't play it say when I'm on a flight or subway (where there is no internet connection). And it's not like we're saving install disk space. Still need 12GB of free space to install stuff.

9. MacBoobsPro, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

How do you know that? Im pretty sure its Origin only. Oh and its coming 'this Spring' for Mac users.

EDIT: Ive seen it at the bottom under 'coming soon'. :) Does that mean we don't need to sign up to Origin? I bloody hope so. Infact Origin is making me sit on the fence about buying it. If it was on the app store it would be bought right away. I dont want to sign up to more and more 'portals' when a new bit of software comes out. Infact I dont want ANY theres no need.

10. RebornTheGame macrumors member

RebornTheGame

Pre-order

I pre-ordered Sim City (Limited edition) from Origin a few weeks ago. Yesterday I received an email that it is ready for download. I am waiting for the arrival on my new iMac rather than downloading it onto my rMBP. So general OSX release can't be too far off.

11. Serban Suspended

What iMac do you have?

12. jaimejaime macrumors newbie

jaimejaime

I've got a 2012 27" i7, 680mx and it runs great through Boot Camp, when you can actually connect to the servers. So far I was only able to play a couple hours on Tuesday, couldn't connect at all yesterday and haven't bothered to try today.

I don't really care about DRM to a point, because I am more than willing to pay developers for their work (and these things are a lot of work, I have two friends who work in the gaming industry and it's amazing to see just how much goes into it), but this is just crazy. The online features of the game could actually be very interesting, it's just confusing and annoying that you're single player experience also depends on the status of their servers, which so far have been down more than up since release.

13. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I dont understand how in this day and age dev's cant do simultaneous releases (Like blizzard, even though their games get delayed for years) on Mac & PC.

14. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I agree. However, with the horrible mess that they made with the Sims 3, where 1 disc can be used for both Mac & PC, I'm glad they are developing a specific version for the Mac, that is not any kind of port and doesn't use cider.

I'm happy to wait an extra few months to have a good quality game.

15. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

EA really need to sort out the bugs with Origin for this release!

16. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I hope there's no problems when it comes out for Mac. They better have it sorted out by then...

17. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

18. RebornTheGame macrumors member

RebornTheGame

I currently have a retina MBP maxed out as per my signature. I have ordered a fully loaded 27" iMac (except RAM which I will update myself). My decision to wait to download Sim City was just for the extra screen space.

19. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

I'm using a Late 2011 baseline 21.5" iMac. I finally installed Windows via Bootcamp today and purchased SimCity. Not willing to wait for the Mac version, which will likely continue to be delayed due to the issues with the PC version.

Anyway, I'll install it later and report back with the results.

20. Raima macrumors 6502

I haven't experienced any problems with connecting to the servers. Before you press the play button to start, on the bottom left hand corned you get to select a server. If you're connecting to a server that is full, try one that isn't full.

I've run it in parallels and its slightly laggy, but fine overall

21. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

You guys are talking about maxed-out iMacs.....makes me worried... SimCity should run well on my 13-inch cMBP? I do have a SSD and more ram...?

Thanks,
    jay

22. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

Actually, I played all night last night on my Late 2011 iMac with absolutely no upgrades whatsoever. I also was running Black Mesa (It's FINALLY HERE!) in full blown 1080p with very little lag. The baseline specs for the 2011 iMacs are quite solid for gaming, particularly something as simple as SimCity.

Also, to everyone who was saying this game is worthless and get SimCity 4 instead? Thanks to all the complaining, EA gave me SimCity 4 Deluxe for free. And since it's Windows I won't have to use all the ridiculous workarounds for Mac.