Similar Image Finder

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by emilycurious, Jun 24, 2014.

1. emilycurious, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

emilycurious macrumors newbie

Please ignore this question, dupeGuru will do what I want.

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you can't find an easy way to do this with software, and if the project is important enough, you may have to do it by scanning the images yourself. Which would suck.

There may be a way to make it easier though.

Get a trial version of Lightroom. It is good for 30 days, no restrictions. And free for that 30 days of course. Import the images - using whatever file organization you've already managed to cobble together. In other words, if you've started to sort images into folders, import an entire folder. (Let Lightroom create and use it's real folders by Year/Month/Day.) Keyword that folder using a keywords to identify the folder, but more importantly - keyword the content and important details of the images. Without knowing the images it's hard to suggest examples.... but for e.g., you may identify that there are horses, pine trees, and sky in some of these.

Getting the keywords is important, so think about what you want to use.

Then - filter (i.e. - search) on those keywords. You can combine them if you want to. Instead of a gazzillion images to browse you will suddenly have a much smaller subset to browse. The duplicates will pop out at you. Flag them - and then filter on the flag. Now you are just looking at the duplicates. There are ways to sort by size (I believe) and date etc. Pick the one you want to keep, delete the rest. Mark it with a colour label. Later you'll learn how to exclude that colour label so that in your initial search you won't ever be looking at ones you've processed already. Unless you need to, to check to see if you missed clearing an image.

It will be tedious, but I think this will make the job manageable for you.

Hope this helps.

3. emilycurious, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

emilycurious thread starter macrumors newbie

4. emilycurious thread starter macrumors newbie

DupeGuru actually will do what I want, sorry for wasting anyones time on this.