Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Hi!

I am looking for a similar program to Little Fin's Chronicle bill management program.

Chronicle looks like the perfect fit for my bill-managing needs. I have not yet settled on a general finance managing program (e.g. Cha-Ching, iBank etc) for my other finances but $20 for Chronicle is a lot to pay for a unique purpose program when almost all of the other finance managers out there offer some sort of bill management.

If anyone knows of a program that has a similar interface or if anyone can recommend a general finance manager that has great bill management features, please enlighten us!

LittleFin

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Chronicle (from the Developer)

Hi MajereXYU!

Developer of Chronicle here. Thanks for considering our software!

The only similar thing I've seen is this: macupdate.com/info.php/id/22996/billcollector

It's free, but I couldn't actually get the developer page to load so I'm not sure if it's really a lot like Chronicle or not. There are also a few iPhone apps that are similar that might do the trick (like BillMinder), if you are considering that route. There may be other software like Chronicle that I'm not aware of. Mint.com is a neat free website for managing finances—I don't like the way it handles Bill reminders, but you might check that out if you haven't before as well.

I've personally tried Cha-Ching, and iBank and several other Mac finance apps, and those two in particular I found to be very good, solid, stable pieces of software, and I think you'd be happy with either. The main reason I didn't stick with them is that I felt it took too much time to keep everything up-to-date. That's part of the reason we designed Chronicle—it literally takes a minute or two a month to keep up with it, and that's it.

I do hear what you're saying about the price. We feel it's a fair price, especially since we offer free upgrades for life (and version 3.0 is coming out in the next month or so with several new features). That said I'd be happy to hear any feedback about what you think would be fair.

Also, this week, the software is one sale if you use the 1FINGERDISCOUNT coupon code (20% off). That leaves the price at around $15 and some change. There's a lot more software on sale as well at onefingerdiscount.com.

Hope that helps a bit, and thanks again for considering Chronicle! I hope you find what you are looking for. (If you do find something better, let me know, maybe we can learn from it! Thanks!)

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
You know what, with the discount and your immensely helpful reply, I decided to purchase your software. I am really happy with it and figured I might as well encourage you guys.
Chronicle really does stand out. I guess it's just old habit that put doubt in my mind, as I often try to find free alternatives to paid programs, simply because my bad luck always makes sure that within days of a software purchase, something better or cheaper (even free) comes along to make me regret it.

With Chronicle, I have no regrets. Free upgrades for life, for a program that already does what I need it to do and great support from its (obviously) caring devs seald the deal for me.

Thanks guys and hope to see more great apps from you!

LittleFin

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks!

Thanks MajereXYU!

I really do appreciate the support. After we wrap 3.0 up, we're (hopefully) going to be able to turn our attention to a free iPhone companion app.

djzapp

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Laveen, AZ
Great program for the mac. Took about an hour to key all my bills (a lot of Credit Cards, thank you apple) This is some awesome stuff.

Thanks a bunch for the attention to detail with the, Looking forward to the iphone app.

Thanks, Mike

TreoRenegade

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Google brought me to this thread per my search for info re Chronicle. Frankly, I was looking for a coupon, but am astonished to see the helpful response from the dev. THAT's the kind of attitude I love to see from developers. Accordingly, I'm off to pay the asking price, and with a smile. Brilliant move, dev!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.